Dyno question

BRE

Well we dyno'd one of the trucks at FASS, and we were kinda lost for words.
1. The dyno just looked like it wasnt loading the truck heavy enough.
2. The graph shoes a dip in it 3/4 of the way throught the power curve. I will get a graph and hopefully video up tomorrow but wondering what you guys could tell me just from what I'm describing and I still have alot to learn so im not trying to be an expert.

It honestly seemed to me that the convertor was not locked. We dont have a lockup switch in the truck but we have a pot mod so it will lock, then if low in the rpms it will unlock if you try to ease into it but then about 15 seconds later it will lock and stay locked. We dyno'd with OD off. The truck still layed down a decent number at 355/601. We know its being starved for air with the stock hx35 but the superb special is in transit as we type lol.

Ask away any questions you have and lets see what you guys got.

And guess i should probably put what the truck is, been a long day.
97 rclb
Stock pump, has been rebuilt by Schied, no plate, stock dv's, 4ks
hx35, port matched ats manifold, cfm intake
marine 330 injectors, 4 in exhaust
mildly built trans, with triple disk.

Ill let Nick chime in if I left things out.

That's not bad but it could be better. If the tranny wasn't locking up that would explain the lack of load. Also dynos are not always accurate just use it as a measuring device to see how much different mods increase and decrease powa.

Needs to dyno in OD. I even questioned you and you said thats what I want no od.Your numbers would have been higher in od.Come to pebble county at end of month and will redyno it for no charge for you!!!

Scott this is not a intended to run you or your dyno down at all. We just assumed that it was the truck. Like I said this wasnt meant to mean anything bad toward you or your business, just curious. Cliff I think it's completely the convertor being unlocked. Nick just posted the graph.

Last edited:
If your trying to get true engine power I'd dyno in 1 to 1 for max wheel hp go for od. But lock that tourqe converter!

I am lost and showing my inexperience, I always thought and always told that the gear before overdrive was your 1 to 1, hence the "over" drive. And in OD it gave false fluctuated numbers?

Od will give you wheel hp #'s but not engine hp numbers if that makes sense I always dyno in od to load the engine as much as I can.

if you can get full boost on the dyno, there is no need to brake load it, also if the dyno loads your truck you shouldn't need to apply brakes unless you simply cannot get a large turbo spooled

Ok it's all starting to click now.

Scott I would take you up on your offer if I knew where pebble county was!:banghead::banghead:

Like I said, Im no expert, especially on autos lol

Ok now going back to the dyno sheet, what's up with the dip in the middle?? My thinking was it shifted, but once again I might be showing my inexperience.

Have a fuel pressure gauge? The link to the sheet didnt work for me bre has my number I think and can text it to me LOL

The graph is just ODD! lol I honestly dont have any ideas as of now. The truck doesnt seem to run out of fuel on the street nor did it sould like it on the rollers. Being as I have touched the truck I would lean toward something i have done but I just dont see timing or gov. springs causing that little dip.

Things are coming together for me now as well on the auto side lol
Kinda wish I would have slapped the ole flat bed on the rollers!

Prebble couty is Weekend of July 4th we will be their fri sat night.
Just see me and explain which truck it was and what happened and will take care of you

Back