early 04 dropped valve seat.

jallan

Smoke show
well I think it finally happend, buying the truck new and now 254,354 mi The number one has finally dropped the valve seat I think. So the head is coming off tomorrow. While it is off there is some things that need to be done that are in need. Studs, Springs, Gasket, Port job. I am going to be surffing the sticky on this but in the mean while on the things I said has to be done and some things that I may be forgetting can you suggest brand of or what kind on the things I need.

Thank you,

Justin.

I don't think so, I started it up and heard a knockin and shut it down pulled the valve cover and seen #1 valve stuck down.

Clearance is very tight. If you can visually see the valve stuck down then more than not there was contact. Hopefully it's not too ugly.

Clearance is very tight. If you can visually see the valve stuck down then more than not there was contact. Hopefully it's not too ugly.

This. And best advice is find a good machine shop to "interference fit" new seats.

Tuff luck man.

What were the events that lead to a dropped valve seat? I have a 03 all I have heard is long periods of hot running. What are you running for a ""tune""?

Tuff luck man.

What were the events that lead to a dropped valve seat? I have a 03 all I have heard is long periods of hot running. What are you running for a ""tune""?

I am running beta 4.2 on level 9 and mp8. Been that way for 5 years. Yesterday was probably the best I ever drove it just headed to the store to get some Broad heads for hunting that was only 3 miles away.

any other tricks or things to do to the head while it is off?

Got the head off and the seat did drop, it also made contact with the piston #1. The piston still looks ok there is a very small impression in the piston were it made contact.
Also found some rocker arms that seamed to be kinda sticky.
The head was sent to the machine shop and all new seats are getting installed and a port job,and 110lb springs.

What kind of head gasket should I get?
I am also toying with sending the injectors out to get bigger they are 100hp already.
or will TNT-R net my some more power vrs the beta 4.2? (I would like to get my hands on the TNT-R with 4,000 rpm Tune)

Check the deck surface on your block. Ensure its flat and clean you need to borrow a good thick straight edge and some feeler gauges to get somewhat close on tolerance. Your head should be decked with a good finish after the machine shop. Use a OEM MLS gasket with some 625's torque to 150 ft pounds. Proceed to add more fuel and air and giver hell.

Chris.

Check the deck surface on your block. Ensure its flat and clean you need to borrow a good thick straight edge and some feeler gauges to get somewhat close on tolerance. Your head should be decked with a good finish after the machine shop. Use a OEM MLS gasket with some 625's torque to 150 ft pounds. Proceed to add more fuel and air and giver hell.

Chris.

The head is in good hands, he is a wizard builds race motors for a living.
I just seen on a post that a guy put bronze bushings in his rockers I kinda want to do this have you heard of this?

I am on board with more fuel and air :) I have scheid boch 100hp sticks and a silver 66/74, I think I have enough air but I may need more stick.what do you think. Also running beta 4.2, mp8 , 85% cp3 and fass 150 pump. I was thinking of sending the sticks out to be 150 or 180?

2 hours of reading forums, looks like I am in the market for metal tipped rocker arms from a 24v. but kinda wondering about the bronze bushing upgrade to the rocker?

My 03 started to lose a seat...it made contact with a piston. I just took the edge off the indent and smoothed it out as good as i could.

Stock MLS gasket from cummins will be fine. Snedge will hook you up.

If your In the market for a better charger with more air flow. I would go with ED or Fleece. I personally wouldn't run any silver series chargers. It's either box stock chargers or custom chargers for me

And yes, I would go TNT/R if I had to but I run SSR on my stock injection 03 and love it.

Last edited:
If you update your smarty to the new TNT-R you won't be able to go back to 4.2. Just a warning for ya. When the first version came out, the non vin locked TNT-R, the 03-04's were able to go back to the beta's but after the latest update no one can go back to the beta's. Something to do with the new pod/TNT-R software. I went back to 4.2 after a couple days. My truck was a complete turd on #7 TNT-R with TM off compared to 1 on 4.2. The new update may have fixed this but I'm not gonna chance it and lose 4.2 $.02

well I am going to keep the Beta 4.2 untill EFI :). Well I found some rockers on e-bay from a 2000 dodge (All Metal ends), My injectors got sent to sheid and they are being opened up to 150hp. For the head all new valve guides valve seats and a healthy port job. Then finally studs.

Well I got the Head back and the Injectors (150 hp). So started to clean up all the parts and noticed on the silver 66 the compressor wheel had what seemed like alot of play. So put a dial indicator on it and it was .053 of move ment, the wheel has not hit the housing yet. After talking to Industrial I deceded to ship it to them and have new bearings put in.

What else could they do to the turbo to make it better. A t4 housing? would that benifit ? along with the proted head? or just port the t3 housing?

Back