Early 99 problems.

Got Smoke?

My co-worker has a early 99 F350 6spd that is bone stock with the exception of a straightpipe.

Yesterday morning he was on his way to work and the truck just cut off like he turned the key off. I made some calls to friends who are more knowledgeable about PSD's than me and he replaced the cam sensor without any result.

It ended up being fuse #30 a 30amp mini fuse under the steering column in the cab. He replaced it with a 20amp because its all he had with him and it got him home and to work today. When he went to leave this afternoon the truck died at the top of the hill are drive has leaving, but restarted as soon as he hit the key but with a check engine light.

We drove over to the local auto zone for there free scan tool use and he said it was low on power and surging the who way over there. The scan tool didn't see any codes in the truck, and we replaced the 20A fuse with a correct 30A. He left to go home and only made it a couple of miles up the road before it began surging and acting up again. I suggested he unplug the water sensor on the fuel filter housing just to see if it would help, and it didnt he said it didn't even make it across the parking lot after that.

I'm lost guys? I'm at the limit's of my PSD knowledge. I have a local reputable PSD mechanic who says its most likely a IDM, but can't look at it until this weekend. Any ideas?

That's what I thought........along with this:kick:

Luckily the truck has righted itself somehow? :what:

He drove it to work Thursday and Friday without problem and had purchased a fuel filter to change.

He's only had this truck for about 2 months now.

well the code reader doesn't have advanced software and these trucks are not odbII compliant (not required over 8500gvw).

Anything 96 and newer sold in the US has to OBD2 compliant

Last edited:
Did the temps warm up since it started runnin better?
If the CEL is on it has set a hard code,if it was intermittent and is runnin fine now it could have set a soft code. a P1293 and P1294 are IDM codes.

Back