Early 99 Reflash. What to expect?

blownsmokestrok

Well guys and gals,heres some back story; got the trans rebuilt in mid October, shfit kit, single billet converter and a total rebuild. from day one of picking it up it did a shudder like the TC locking and unlocking 2-3 times while shifting. Trans guy said ride it out a while and see if it "breaks in" and he'll go back through it if it didnt

Well first week in Dec i overheated her pulling about 13000# through some "florida mountains" So i bring it in and fore warn him it will probably be bad as the fluid smells rank. He went through it and determined it needed a complete rebuild again (under warranty) So in two days i was up and running again with a fresh rebuild, fresh shift kit, and a fresh TRIPLE DISC converter (he upgraded me since i fried the single). BUT i have the same shudder problem.

Came to the conclusion it is something with electronics. All the sensors were in working order, but out the right numbers, not throwing codes. Ran it on every power level, then totally diconected my edge juice with attitude, and still have the problem. Then ran the truck on a scan tool and confirmed it is the TC locking and unlocking at shift. Since its done it on 2 seperate rebuilds it leads me to believe it is not the TC. My trans guy, 2 local diesel mechanics and a trans guy who builds our sled pull trannys all say it needs a reflash. so in it goes for a reflash today.

my actual question is what should i expect? better/worse fuel mileage? better/worse throttle response? better/worse boost #'s? HOPEFULLY ill se better shifting and torque converter lockup. if not........ just wanted some insight, ill keep on top of this thread today, and update you guys tonight when i get it back.

\Sorry for the extremely long post/

What year and old catch code...Best towing shifting was NVK4 and then the update was to PMT1... converter does not lock on deceleration and returns to idle at all hiway speeds...IMO S~CKS

You can reflash it to any PCM code, it won't change anything with the transmission shudder you are having.

Something is wrong with the transmission. Period.

What year and old catch code...Best towing shifting was NVK4 and then the update was to PMT1... converter does not lock on deceleration and returns to idle at all hiway speeds...IMO S~CKS

Is NVK4 the one that doesn't lock the TC until after going into 4th, and then will unlock slightly before dropping to 3rd instead of all @ once?

Seth Sullivan of Sullivan Diesel was telling me about a dealer reflash that would help my shifing pattern I'm not happy with in my trans? Dealer was clueless said it was something wrong with my trans. Doesn't DS until 1400 going up hill but when it does unlocks and DS's all at once causing major rpm spike that doesn't help me towing at all!

Sorry for slight hi-jack. Your searching prob could probably be fixed my zip tieing the wires coming out of the back of your Alt up to the alternator bracket as tightly as possible. Solved mine.

well the reflash made it better, but its still there.......back to the tranny shop for the 3rd time. how is it possible to have everything changed twice and have the same exact problem? i just cant keep having my truck sitting in the shop.......its getting cold for the harley and the old ladys car is too damn small!

You can reflash it to any PCM code, it won't change anything with the transmission shudder you are having.

Something is wrong with the transmission. Period.

When hooked to the scan tool, we can see it locking and unlocking, but cant determine whats causing it......... its frustrating. as stated above, i dont have the time for it to just sit at the trans shop forever until they get it right:bang

So if a previous owner of my 99 got it reflashed to the PMT1 code, can my dealer reflash it back to NVK4?
What I meant by that comment was that a reflash wouldn't work to fix the problem.

Technically, you can't flash any code to any PCM. Some PCM families are different.

But to answer your question, yes you can re-flash it back to the original.

Simply put, it's a bad transmission build.

Talked to him today, onlything not changed was the solenoid block......that is first on his list when i drop it off tomorrow.

I personally say it isnt a "bad transmission build" because he has really stood by it. When i fried the first one within a month or so, he not only rebuilt it but upgraded to a triple disc billet converter (from single disc billet), and ate the cost. He is also eating the reflash cost for me since it was his suggestion. I will say that when the original trans finally went, it had been going for 6 months and i still drove it until it needed to get towed home*bdh*
so i wouldnt be surprised if something is off kilter in the solenoids (more specifically the lockup solenoid) that is causing it. Maybe a bad (weak) spring, or broken spring. he will change EVERYTHING until he eliminates the trans as the issue, and if he does we will get a whole computer to try in it.

Curiosity...
Which shift kit?
And which valve body are you using?

sucks to hear about a on going problem, best of luck getting it fixed quickly.

shizz off the top of my head i dont remember. Im 90% sure the shift kit is suncoast, and i have no idea on the valvebody, it very well could be a stock replacement. if i had the extra dough i wouldve went with a tim moye vlavebody out of tampa, his are SWEET!

Talked to him today, onlything not changed was the solenoid block......that is first on his list when i drop it off tomorrow.

I personally say it isnt a "bad transmission build" because he has really stood by it. When i fried the first one within a month or so, he not only rebuilt it but upgraded to a triple disc billet converter (from single disc billet), and ate the cost. He is also eating the reflash cost for me since it was his suggestion. I will say that when the original trans finally went, it had been going for 6 months and i still drove it until it needed to get towed home*bdh*
so i wouldnt be surprised if something is off kilter in the solenoids (more specifically the lockup solenoid) that is causing it. Maybe a bad (weak) spring, or broken spring. he will change EVERYTHING until he eliminates the trans as the issue, and if he does we will get a whole computer to try in it.
That's good that he's standing behind his build. The only thing I wonder is... how long.

I've been around enough on different forums to see horror stories from transmission builds by local shops. They all start out like this thread. Some shops even build it several times under warranty, then drop the warranty after a while claiming the customer abuses the truck. It happens very often.

Just be careful is all I'm saying. Talk to the shop owner, and make sure he goes through the entire transmission. Many shops claim they can build a 4r100 and make it bullet proof, only a few shops in the entire country have actually done it.

Keep us updated on what happens.

Its there now, first two orders of business are new solenoid block and cleaning/checking all the grounds on the truck. Trust me i am being careful, if he screws me he will lose a bit of business, as i was refered there by a friend who owns a shop. I have confidence we will figure it out be it his issue or not.

he already told me "i can build a strong trans, but i cant build something you can't break" atleast hes honest haha. I will update tomorrow night hopefully.

Where can you go to get that truck reflashed? any dealer?? I have an early 99 and its doing that samething and the throttle is touchy sometimes.

yea any dealer can do it. be warned, it DID NOT fix my problem.

The new solenoid block went in today, better but still there. He's doing some more messing tomorrow, but it looks like i may be trying an entire computer......:Smacks head on wall:

well, from 97-early 99 they put in a progressive lockup valve (actual name?) aparently there is a kit to over ride and bypass this and he is installing it first thing in the AM. hopefully ill have it back and 100% tomorrow evening before work.

Got it all taken care of! Faulty PWM lockup in the trans (over ridden for on/off lockup), Cleaned all ground connections, and found 3 shorts in the wiring harness and she locks up like a dream now! thanks for your input guys!

No catch code will create shift problems, Ford is not stupid, you really think you guys are smarter than the Ford engineers?

Your trans genius is wrong and thats all there is to it.

No catch code will create shift problems, Ford is not stupid, you really think you guys are smarter than the Ford engineers?

Your trans genius is wrong and thats all there is to it.

not exactly sure what you are trying to say..... i was told by 4 different people that the computer controls lockup, so if having lockup issues a reflash is in store. obviously that didnt work. but i know the thing shifted like chit, and after finding 3 shorts, doing away with the PWM, and cleaning all the grounds its good to go.

Is that what you were trying to say? if not please clarify.

Back