Early GM nv4500 to Cummins questions

weazel

5th gear killer
So my plans for my 93 K3500 4x4 Chevy have changed once again. A guy desperately needed an engine, and just so happened I had one for his truck. Sold it to him, then the next day went and picked up an 03 24v engine. So I'm back to doing a cummins swap in the dually lol.

The truck already has an nv4500, which for now I'm fine with. Problem is, it's the early model version from GM.. Now I don't know yet if it'll be a simple counter shaft and input shaft swap, or if I'm going to have to have the opening of the input bearing hole in the front of the case opened up some. So here's question 1... Has anyone actually had one of these apart, and is this old transmission different than the later model ones?

I have read and read, but not coming to a good answer due to not very many of these being out there.. Seems to be the dodge versions everywhere. I also called a transmission shop and the guy told me the front bearing opening is the same throughout the nv4500s years... But then I got to looking on Enterprises website trying to learn some more about these, and in the specs, unless I read wrong, says the opening is smaller than the later versions.

Anyone have any concrete answers about this that have messed with these before?

The input bearing opening is smaller, as is the bearing retainer bolt pattern.
I believe the front(?) gear on the cluster can be swapped out to the later tooth count and input.
The break on the gear ratios and input bearing size is 1996-up, with 1996 being the oddball, due to the different reverse idler gear set up in the case.

Is your truck a 3500 HD?

Mark.

If it's a true HD (has a 10 lug Dana 80 in the rear) that's an oddball truck.
You don't see many 3500HD 4x4s.
I'm curious how they arranged the parking brake set up on the 4 wheel drives?

Mark.

I'll probably be out there again tomorrow sometime. I can shoot you some pics through text if you'd like to see what all is on the truck?

That would be cool.
Shots of the front axle and trans/t-case set up would allay my curiosity.

402-780-5127 to text.

Mark.

Back