ECM Compatibility

sleepin-sport

Have a 02 (3500 auto 2wd), that might have a ECM problem.
My buddy has a 99 that is willing to lend me his ECM, to see if it solve's the problem.

Will a ECM off of a 99 (2500 auto 4x4) work?
I know the output on these engines are different (99=215hp,02=235hp)

Thanks in advance for any advice

My money is on probably not. I just had to put a new ECM on my 02 2500 4x4. I found a few ECMs for sale but after running some #'s we weren't sure they would work. Now, I did get lucky and borrow one of another customers truck at the shop my truck is at and everything worked fine, but I think that was a lucky shot in the dark. You would have better luck if you had on off a truck that is the same as yours. That being said, I know a guy in NC that has 3-4 ECMs that he is selling and one myight work for you. PM me if you want the #.

Jeremy

They WILL NOT interchange, you will need to find same year, same options for them to interchange.

Or a brand new blank one....$858 at Dodge or a little over 900 from Cummins....

Any ECM from an 02 cummins will work in his truck. I have run an SO ECM in my HO and it worked just fine.

Thanks guys,

I'll need to look into it, truck is giving me a bunch of codes. It had contaminated fuel and no fuel filter at one point. Since then I cleaned the fuel tank, installed a Fass 150 system. Now the truck runs fine for a while, then when the CEL comes on it goes to $h*t mode. The truck starts right up, but then it starts to miss and shuts off.
These are the codes I got doing the key trick:

1-P1693
DTC Detected In ECM Or PCM

2-P0219
Camshaft Position Sensor Overspeed Signal

3-P0230
Transfer pump Circuit Out Of Range

4-P0341
Camshaft Position Sensor Signal

5-P0254
Fuel Injection Pump Fuel Valve Current Too High

6-P1690
Fuel injection pump CKP Sensor Does Not Agree With ECM CKP Sensor

7-P0370
Fuel Injection Pump Speed/Position Sensor Signal Lost

8-P1691
Fuel Injection Pump Controller Calibration Failure

I'm having issues with mine as well that I believe to be ECm related. Truck wont start on its own but will if you hit it with starting fluid and run fine. I had like 15 codes I cleared and nothing changed.

sleepin-sport said:
Thanks guys,

I'll need to look into it, truck is giving me a bunch of codes. It had contaminated fuel and no fuel filter at one point. Since then I cleaned the fuel tank, installed a Fass 150 system. Now the truck runs fine for a while, then when the CEL comes on it goes to $h*t mode. The truck starts right up, but then it starts to miss and shuts off.
These are the codes I got doing the key trick:

1-P1693
DTC Detected In ECM Or PCM

2-P0219
Camshaft Position Sensor Overspeed Signal

3-P0230
Transfer pump Circuit Out Of Range

4-P0341
Camshaft Position Sensor Signal

5-P0254
Fuel Injection Pump Fuel Valve Current Too High

6-P1690
Fuel injection pump CKP Sensor Does Not Agree With ECM CKP Sensor

7-P0370
Fuel Injection Pump Speed/Position Sensor Signal Lost

8-P1691
Fuel Injection Pump Controller Calibration Failure

Mine throws the P0341 when ever I turn my boxes up. I have tried all sorts of things and have chased it down to the ECM.:doh:

Rodram2002 said:
Mine throws the P0341 when ever I turn my boxes up. I have tried all sorts of things and have chased it down to the ECM.:doh:

The box on this truck has been disconnected for a while. Don't know which model it is but it's from Banks and it hooks up to the pyrometer.
Doesn't really matter since once the problem is fixed, the banks box is coming off.

Back