ECM making me crazy

fahtb0y

Well I put the new ECM in and it still won't start. I've run the battery down for the third time trying to figure it out. It's giving me codes 0230 and 1693 with the scanner. I couldn't figure out how to work the multimeter testing the lift pump. Did get one reading of 6 point something. I stopped pursuing it because I can hear the raptor 100 cycling properly as it's been since I installed it in 2011. I'm about to push that thing in the river. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem. I also bled the fuel lines by cracking the banjo bolt at the vp inlet and have a good size puddle to prove the LP is working. The truck's sat for about 3 weeks before I put the new ECM in. As much as I hate to, I used starter fluid, as it worked with hard starts when the problem arose prior to parking it. Now it doesn't respond to the ether, just turns over after but never catches.

Before I replaced it it was acting like it was bad. The wait to start was delayed and it would die while driving.

you sure it's the ECM and not the VP?

Agreed Russ.

Crack the number one line and crank to motor over see if you have any fuel come out. If the AD has a relay in the system use a jumper wire and jump the connection to run the LP constantly. This way your not fighting the 25 sec ECM limit.

Agreed Russ.

Crack the number one line and crank to motor over see if you have any fuel come out. If the AD has a relay in the system use a jumper wire and jump the connection to run the LP constantly. This way your not fighting the 25 sec ECM limit.

AD does have a relay, should be able to simply jump it lol ive had these problems, its good to know that you can hear the pump running, meaning the ECM is sending that voltage. The great thing about these trucks is that its simply mechanically injected and electronically regulated-per say. so fueling and starting issues are trouble tree friendly once you know for sure you have a strong LP. I always crack fuel lines 1&3 and crank her till you see fuel dribbling out, if fuel doesn't come out... you have issues. keep us updated!

sounds like you threw an ECM at it, before diagnosing it. Go to blue chip diesel's website. Ton of info on there. Also, you can give the VP44 power & ground, and the truck should start and idle, if the VP and LP are good.

I sometimes have the lift pump code when I did my install of my lift pump i just wired it with a relay with key on power. never stopped the truck sounds like your problem is a VP

Also, you can give the VP44 power & ground, and the truck should start and idle, if the VP and LP are good.

This I never knew- that's a handy piece of info.

LMAO and if you start it with ether youll know that its not a compression issue LOL

Seriously though, don't start it with ether....

It never took more than about ten minutes after a filter change but I cracked line 1. Left it open and cranked it over a few times and barely trickled. Now it's giving me codes 1689 and 1693.

Nope. Big injectors, low compression and no grid heater. If it's warm out it starts fine. Too cool and it starts, but it's not happy. Been this way since day 1 about 5 years ago

Nope. Big injectors, low compression and no grid heater. If it's warm out it starts fine. Too cool and it starts, but it's not happy. Been this way since day 1 about 5 years ago

The cool thing about a cummins is the fact that they start up rather easy in cold weather- with a GH, that is-

Yep, but.......

The cool thing about a cummins is the fact that they start up rather easy in cold weather- with a GH, that is-

I dont worry about it. I pop the hood, spray the air filter for 2 seconds and hit the key. Starts right up and idles normal, then its fine.

Back