ECM Poblems... Bob wagner could help too.

GSM-01

Can turn wrenches
I'm getting a curve ball thrown at me right now. My girlfriends truck is giving me major problems. Before we met there was a charging problem. The Dodge dealership didn't catch the simple wire on the back of the alternator that was cut. However, they changed the ECM out thinking that was the problem. Well things have gone down hill since then.

I met her in the mist of them so I'm still trying to catch up on all of them. When they replaced the ECM the first time around, they charged the batteries which got her home. It then died again. So they trailered the truck back to the dealership and replaced the ECM again. They still had not noticed the wire cut. So the truck, again, died. They took it back adn this time found the wire. However, ever since all this happened things just keep getting more interesting. To start I'll give you a list of things done to the truck.

Its is fairly stock. Had Edge Jammers in it but are back to stock. Wastegate is plugged. AEM intake, turbo back exhuast, FASS 95 and she runs a smarty. The lift has nothing to do with these problems but it is still there. It had an Edge Evolution on it but that is also gone. I ckecked all connections involved with that and all are clean and covered and what not.

Now when I first got my hands on the truck it had 3 codes. P1682 (Voltage low for the charging system) P1693 (DTC detected in ECM) and P1694 (No bus messaged recieved from ECM). The 1693 referes to the 1694 and the 1682 I'm not worried as we have resolved that. When I first started working with the truck, it ran the standard Smarty, no revo. Now is when it gets interesting.

When Downloading a tune onto the truck, it would program the truck fully. Upon updating the ECM It would come back with a ERROR 61. Bob said this had to due with the no bus communication with ECM. It told us program aborted BUT, the truck was programmed. If you put it at #3 it was programmed for that. The kicker here is the ECM would always read as stock tuning was programmed. Now, if you program up to a higeher level the truck would do the exact same thing as mentioned in the before programming. However, if you programmed down, it would say communication timed out and the truck wouldn't start. You would have to disconnect the batteries and then reconnect them in order to get it to run.

I decided to update the smarty to the Revo seeing as there might be an update. Now it goes through the whole thing and comes up with and ERROR 14 which from what I was told is also a no bus communication with ECM. All the rest is still the same. Upon driving it we ran into a problem. The longer we drove it, the more it wanted to fall on its face. Before in 1st or reverse you could just let the clutch out to get it rolling, now it falls on its face and stalls out. Its to the point where we couldnt drive it with the smarty on so I had to take it off.

Now upon resetting the DTCs they have not come back up but we know the ECM is not updating properly. So where do I go from here.

The other kicker to all this is that the "wait to start' light aint working like it should. If the wait to start light doesn't come on then the truck won't start. The Dodge dealer told her that due to the fuel pump she has, it not going to work correctly all the time. I don't see why that FP shouldnt kick on but sometimes it doesn't want too. That maybe a wiring problem but I have gone over the whole harness to find nothing out of the ordinary and put my FASS 150 on and it does the same thing. Last I knew the "wait to start" was controled by the ECM only going back further to the ECM.

Between the codes and problems I'm seeing its throwing me for a curve ball. I have a feeling I'm going to have to go through this thing one wire by one wire but figured I'd throw it out here first and see what the collective mind could do. Any help is appriciated and thanks in advance.

TK

New batteries and reflash the ECM. Then start again. Now if the dealer unplugged the ECM connectors before the batteries were unplugged this could have possibly caused damage to the ECM. They will not admit to this though. IMO I would take it to another dealer and have it reflashed. What state do you reside in?

Also pull off the ECM plug from the left side of the motor and check to make sure any pins are not pushed in or missing, broke etc. Clean the male and female ends with electrical cleaner and put di-electric grease and plug it back in. There is an allen head in the middle of the plug. Dont overtighten when reinstalling. You will need to loosen that allen head IOT remove the plug as well. HTH's

what year truck is it? Ive heard that if a 98.5 or 99 ecm is used in a 00-02 you will have symptoms similar to this. If the dealer wasnt smart enough to find the wire at the alt. then maybe they put the wrong ecm in.

I got those same codes when I had a wire rubbing on the dipstick causing it to ground out.

Took me a month or so of changing sensors, etc.

So def. look around.

I reside in PA. However the truck is just a little bit further south than I at the moment. Will be in my area soon.

She took it to the dealer today. I was hoping they would come across one of these codes and could go from there on warrenty work. I told them the DTCs I saw but that don't matter much. The reflash didn't do anything. Threw the smarty back on and she wanted to die.

Whats really throwing me for a curve is that this truck has to have something done to it. It smoking more than any other stock truck I have seen. I got a feeling I'm going to have to dig alot deeper cause she doesn't know what's going on with the truck really.

I figure its a ground somewhere but the smarty is what is throwing me off. Now the truck wants to die whenever it is on the truck. Runs fine off it. The "wait to start" light is prolly a ground but the no bus meeage to ECM is either going to be in the ECM or the male and female plugs as texas suggested. I was hoping someone had this problem before and knew which female or male end it was that was giving them a problem rather than going through all the plugs. I'd rather try this than sit there for a few hours going to the wires only to find someone already knew which one it was... LOL

If I can't find the problem I'll take it to my local dealership where I know the guys and we will take an afternoon and see what we can find with the ECM. I wouldn't count the ECM year out either. These guys have no clue what they are doing and I gave them a chance and well thats the end of that.

I appriciate the help so far. Guess I got to dig into it as suspected.

I was hoping someone had this problem before and knew which female or male end it was that was giving them a problem rather than going through all the plugs.
He means the big plug that goes into the ECM on the side of the block,it should be pretty obvious if any of the pins are bent over.
The female side should be okay,unless one pulled out,you'll see what he's talking about when you get them disconnected.

I did have a plug issue (big plug into the ECM) on my previous 98.5 and had similiar problems during the BETA testing before the 1st Smarty ever came out. My bet is that plug. Wire or pin is loose, pushed in, bent, or bad connections. Me and Marco found a loose wire and got it fixed.

I did have a plug issue (big plug into the ECM) on my previous 98.5 and had similiar problems during the BETA testing before the 1st Smarty ever came out. My bet is that plug. Wire or pin is loose, pushed in, bent, or bad connections. Me and Marco found a loose wire and got it fixed.

That's what I was looking for. Do you remember which wire off hand. narrowing it down to something like that is what I'm after. I have a feeling it is in the plugs somewhere, its just there are alot of them to go through one by one, check the male and female ends, check the connections in the plug, etc etc etc. Getting it narrowed down to something like that is what I'm looking for.

Mr C, I know what you mean. I have check the plugs, which all seem to be in tact, so now its a matter of finding which wire it maybe. For all I know the female ends are a little bit too loose. If thats the case it will be hard to spot. But if someone knows which wire/male or female end maybe causing it I can go right to that first and see if it the problem.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

The big plug on the ECM, there is only one there. Fairly easy to get to and see if there is a problem. Just take it off and have a look. Like was said earlier there is a allen screw in there that you have to take off before the plug will come out. It definately sounds like one of the pins inside that connector is bent/loose/burnt/bad. I bet that the guys at the dealer that replaced the ECM just shoved the plug on there and did not check any of the connections. If you put it on with the screw you would not feel the connections bending and they probibally di dexactly that and with a air ratchet. Just my .02

Back