Educate me 05-07 6.0 F450/F550's

John_DeereGreen

What do I need to look for, what do I need to be aware of on these trucks? Aside from the obvious, check coolant, oil, blowby, feel trans shifts, check driveline for bad u joints, etc.

All the ones I'm looking at are coming off of fleet maintenance, with between 90K and 130K miles. They were landscape crew trucks, pulling 20-28 foot enclosed trailers with mowers in them. All are 4X2 and did plow snow as well.

We need to pick up another landscape truck for next spring and these are all pretty good deals, IMO. Between 11K and 13K with dumping flatbeds.

I have a 1 owner F350 2wd Flat bed Dually. New injectors, 58V ficm, EGR delete and oil cooler. Truck is ready to go. Has tool boxes. It was 2 degrees here yesterday and it wasnt plugged in. Started right up and idled smooth. Tires and brakes are great. No squeeks or rattles. $8K
If your interested.

I have two 07 550s. One is a money pit and never leaves the shop (engine and trans issues). The other one has been a decent truck, it will need injectors soon. Other than engine issues they are good trucks.

Sent from my recliner but naked eating Cheetos

1999-2002 F550's are the most reliable ones with the 7.3 and 4R100. I've owned our 02 4X4 for 9 years and counting and put over 255k miles hauling very heavy all the time. Only simple maintenance few alternators and one set of injectors and a driver module. Not a power house by no means but gets the job done with good converter and shift strategy. I installed a Kelderman air ride rear best mod to date for that truck it was almost unbearable on our crap Midwest roads. The Dana S130 rear axle is very stout but comes with a 4.88 ratio so it likes to drink fuel period usually 8-10 mpg max.

The money pit truck has 154k on it an is deleted and studded. The good truck has 140k and is all stock.

Sent from my recliner but naked eating Cheetos

Seems like the 6.0 in 450-550s is more of a problem, that is the platform I do most of my Cummins swaps in

You pretty much covered the bases. The main reason the 550's have problems is so many rpms all the time from the gears. It is even worse in the 6.4 trucks. I had a 04 f550 crew cab flat bed lariet 6-speed 4x4. I love that truck but it just rode so bad for driving it everyday. Only time it rode decent was when it had the gooseneck on its back and 25k lbs on it. I now have a 02 f450 crew cab service body 6-speed 4x4. It is weak as puppy piss but she works everyday.

Back