EFILive FAQ's

For GM our scan tool is comparable to the GM Tech II diagnostic tool, but for a fraction of the price.

For Cummins, our scan tool is still in development, so it can't yet be compared to the Cummins factory tool or other scan tools on the market.

Your question can only be answered when the scan tool hits our beta testers and we start to receive feedback. We have published a list of the logging parameters that will be available in our scan tool here EFILive 5.9L Beta Update - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

thanks for the information. i hope that it becomes the best cummins scan tool!! and hope its soon!!:rockwoot:

I have a question regarding the scan tool for the older black V2's. Will we have to buy the CUMMINS upgrade in order to access this or will this be available as an upgrade for current V2 customers? I know that we'll have to buy the CUMMINS upgrade to tune, just wondering if we will be able to scan them without the upgrade as I run a small shop out of my house and anything extra I can scan opens up more business for me.

Please disregard my initial response - the 15 mins to modify my post got me :(

For GM vehicles we offer pass through reading/flashing/logging, which is PC-FlashScan-Vehicle connection. We also offer standalone reading/flashing/logging where the PC connection isn't required.

This will be our offering for Cummins, however at this point of time we have only tested the Pass through reading/flashing. Our initial release will most likely only cover Pass through functionality with standalone functions to be added in a future release. The functionality is there, we just need to apply it to Cummins and test it; at this point of the project this isn't a high priority.

Cheers
Cindy

We've done some testing on BBR for Cummins in the last couple of days and it's now functional. Further testing needs to be done with our beta testers to confirm it does in fact work and will make it into our initial release.

I have a question regarding the scan tool for the older black V2's. Will we have to buy the CUMMINS upgrade in order to access this or will this be available as an upgrade for current V2 customers? I know that we'll have to buy the CUMMINS upgrade to tune, just wondering if we will be able to scan them without the upgrade as I run a small shop out of my house and anything extra I can scan opens up more business for me.
Yes you can scan a Cummins without the Manufacturer's Tune license. Likewise you can Scan a GM vehicle without access to the Tune tool.

The difference with Cummins is that it's going to be our first Scan Tool release on our V8 software, so in your situation you'll be scanning GM in V7 and Cummins in V8 until we migrate everything to V8.

Cheers
Cindy

We've done some testing on BBR for Cummins in the last couple of days and it's now functional. Further testing needs to be done with our beta testers to confirm it does in fact work and will make it into our initial release.

Yes you can scan a Cummins without the Manufacturer's Tune license. Likewise you can Scan a GM vehicle without access to the Tune tool.

The difference with Cummins is that it's going to be our first Scan Tool release on our V8 software, so in your situation you'll be scanning GM in V7 and Cummins in V8 until we migrate everything to V8.

Cheers
Cindy

So as of the current V8 build (139 I think) BBR isint avail for the cummins???

If when it is avail, how does one go about setting it up??

Thanks
Les

OK im sure this is dumb but just wanna ask anyways, when you purchase the V2 scantool and the cummins tuning licence will that come with a disk or something with the tuning software on it to put on the computer? Also when you get all the stuff do you scan your vehicle with the V2 and save the stock tune and then go to you computer and open the tuning software and load the stock tune up? And then from there just tune it on the tables you choose?

is there anybody in wisconsin that will do professional tunes like Huckstorf Diesel?
if so... will there be a lope tune like you can get for dmaxs??
if you were to do everything yourself how much would you be spending once its all said and done??

thanks
keegan

OK im sure this is dumb but just wanna ask anyways, when you purchase the V2 scantool and the cummins tuning licence will that come with a disk or something with the tuning software on it to put on the computer? Also when you get all the stuff do you scan your vehicle with the V2 and save the stock tune and then go to you computer and open the tuning software and load the stock tune up? And then from there just tune it on the tables you choose?

When I bought mine it came with a CD, but the software that came with it was VERY outdated. You can download teh software straight from there website and then update it via the internet. And yes, you download your stock tune from the ECM and save it(at least this is reccomended). Then you can either modify it, script it, or change to a different operating system to flash back in it.

So the switchable tuning might not be a switch, but a different download, is this correct?
And to do this download one must have your V2 tuner/scanner?

So if you get in a situation where you need the stock tune put back (warranty, ext), you must go back to your original tuner (person) to put it back, is this correct?
And does that tuner (person) have the exact tune that was taken out of said truck, or rather a generic base tune for that year?

Time frame on this "switchable" setup?
I'm guessing will be at least a year, until the rest of the trucks years listed are done with the beta phase.

So the switchable tuning might not be a switch, but a different download, is this correct?

So if you get in a situation where you need the stock tune put back (warranty, ext), you must go back to your original tuner (person) to put it back, is this correct?
And does that tuner (person) have the exact tune that was taken out of said truck, or rather a generic base tune for that year?

I'm guessing will be at least a year, until the rest of the trucks years listed are done with the beta phase.

From what I've read/understand on the 'switch', it would be a switch or button....not going to be done until all cummins trucks are EFI ENABLED.

As far as stock tune, each indivdual will keep track of their own tune....store it yourself on your own pc/laptop. Myself, I'll be buying a laptop just for my truck.

Can't wait til EFI is on the market for '03-'05's.....

A BIG:clap::clap: for EFI LIVE and the beta testers!!!!!

So as of the current V8 build (139 I think) BBR isint avail for the cummins???

If when it is avail, how does one go about setting it up??

Thanks
Les
Les, we will post some appropriate setup/instruction documents when the process is 100% set in stone for the first release. We are still making some fundamental changes so it's a working document at this point of time.

BBR is available in the current public beta release that can be downloaded from our forum (not the download section of our website).

Our software is updated and re-released regularly, so while we do have a CD included with the product, in most cases you will need to update from our website - unfortunately that is one of the downfalls of fast product development.

is there anybody in wisconsin that will do professional tunes like Huckstorf Diesel?
if you were to do everything yourself how much would you be spending once its all said and done??

thanks
keegan

Keegan, speak with Huckstorf, while they are not on the beta team, I'm sure you'll find that they will be tuning Cummins trucks once the software is available. In addition, I think Kennedy Diesel is in Wisconsin, and John is on the beta team.

There are 2 parts to your question. Switchable tuning requires you to "reflash" the ECM to a Custom operating system. This Custom OS is something that we develop to allow the ECM to hold multiple tunes - it's not GM's OS or Cummin's OS; it's an OS that we develop.

The second part is the physical switching - we haven't worked out if it will be a switch installed into the cab, like the Duramax LBZ/LMM or switching via connecting the V2 to the OBDII port like we do on the Duramax LB7/LLY.

We don't have a timeframe on the creation of switchable tuning - it's too dependant on the rest of the project.

In terms of restoring your truck to stock, this needs to be done with our hardware. You can have a shop install custom tunes in your truck, but by doing so you won't have the hardware to change your tune, read/clear codes or tune other vehicles. In this instance you'd need to go back to the shop and have them restore your stock tune (provided they saved it in the first place). If switchable tuning can only be delivered by a connection to the ODBII port, then you will need the hardware to change tunes.

Most customers who get custom tunes would also buy the hardware so they can do all of the above. Most of our vendors sell EFILive as a package with their custom tune anyway.

There is another option if you are not interested in tuning which is purchasing a custom tune from a performance shop that stocks/sells our AutoCal product. Think of it like a handheld, but customized by the tuner for your truck. You walk away with the handheld and the custom tunes that you purchase. You can read/clear codes and data log. Your tuner can email you tune revisions based on those logs. NOTE: You cannot switch the handheld back to stock and install it on another vehicle, but in pretty much every other aspect it is the same.

Cheers
Cindy

thanks
keegan

Where are you in WI? We are just south of the border and part of the Beta team. Let me know if you have any questions.

There is another option if you are not interested in tuning which is purchasing a custom tune from a performance shop that stocks/sells our AutoCal product. Think of it like a handheld, but customized by the tuner for your truck. You walk away with the handheld and the custom tunes that you purchase. You can read/clear codes and data log. Your tuner can email you tune revisions based on those logs. NOTE: You cannot switch the handheld back to stock and install it on another vehicle, but in pretty much every other aspect it is the same.

Cheers
Cindy[/QUOTE]

So it would basically be like the Smarty, only with custom tunes specifically tailored to my truck. This sounds great to me.
I don't have any desire to tune my own truck and melt it down. I'll leave it to the experts.

Thanks Cindy

Cheers
Cindy

So it would basically be like the Smarty, only with custom tunes specifically tailored to my truck. This sounds great to me.
I don't have any desire to tune my own truck and melt it down. I'll leave it to the experts.

Thanks Cindy[/QUOTE]

You got it. Just have to contact one of the EFI Live tuners that can tune the Cummins well. Purchase the Autocal and they will put the tunes on that you want with needing some vehicle information. Then you can receive tunes through email if you want to change something.

As far as stock tune, each indivdual will keep track of their own tune....store it yourself on your own pc/laptop. Myself, I'll be buying a laptop just for my truck.

Can't wait til EFI is on the market for '03-'05's.....

A BIG:clap::clap: for EFI LIVE and the beta testers!!!!!

HA! me too. I have my little $200 windows netbook all ready to go (wiped and fresh XP loaded). Should be perfect to keep in the truck full time....

Oh and seeing as I have a SO 235hp 2003, EFI is quite exciting.

Back