egr delete kit

haber

looking at getting a egr delete kit for the truck.2 places told me 8-9 hours and change the oil and antifreeze while they're at it.1 place said 12 hours because they take off the intakes and clean them but nothing about the oil or antifreeze.and the other 2 didn't say anything about the intakes.if the intakes don't get cleaned out ,will it hurt the delete kit or something else down the road.who's right and who's wr:nail:eek:ng.

Most guys that do the deletes remove the maniflod to replace the oil cooler, or have the oil cooler done at the same time. Something to think about.

Now to your question. When I did mine I inspected the air passages in the intake and found them to be clean. But most guys on the newer intakes find them to be plugged with soot. They clean them up. I would pay the extra to have it hot tanked or go with a FCDP or Go Go delete that replaces the whole intake. Just my $.02

They're all correct, some tell you the whole story and others are only interested in selling parts.

They're all correct, some tell you the whole story and others are only interested in selling parts.

X2 :doh: Amazing the parts people buy cause they were told they need to replaced while in for other work

An oil cooler is something to look at while you are there. Depends on a lot of thing's, mileage, style of driving, a lot of short trip's, etc. I charge 10 hrs. to do one and I do an oil change because I usually do the cooler (cheap insurance) they make a mess when they burst. I alway's do new coolant just because. I am lazy and I only want to do the job one time and be done with it. Take it to a reputable shop that you trust, and one that has done quite a few EGR delete's. Anyone with tool's can do one, but don't overlook anything. It's a long and tedious job worth doing right in my opinion. Gary

I always remove the intake manifold so I can inspect it for blockage and clean it if necessary. On the '03 and early '04 engines the turbo must be removed to get the intake manifold out. While everything is apart you my as well update the oil cooler. There is a oval shaped filter/screen for the HPOP in the bottom of the oil cooler cavity, if any of the screen material is missing 9 times out of 10 it's time for a new HPOP & IPR followed by injectors. If the engine is running fine the injectors can be replaced later without removing the intake manifold.

You do not need to change the oil cooler or inspect HPO components when you do an EGR cooler delete but I'll guarantee that when the engine quits running a week or a month from now you'll be pretty upset! Always replace the engine oil and filter when you replace the oil cooler.

Last edited:
egr delete

thanx allot for the info guy's.now i know what to do when i get it done and who is going to do it.i would rather do it right the first time than have issues down the road.this site is better than the diesel power site.once again thanx for the help.:charger:

Back