EGR exhaust blockoff & EGR valve slugging

snoboy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I want to do the laziest EGR blockoff possible. MY '03 uses 0 water and has never emitted any white smoke (so I'm assuming my EGR cooler is intact and my head gaskets are good), I already have a coolant bypass filter installed (so my coolant should be clean and stay clean) and I have a brand new EGR gasket and o-ring kit ready to use for this EGR valve slug I just bought off Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...E:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&viewitem=&item=280238745141

So my question is... If I do the EGR exhaust block off plate (remember I'm an '03 so no scoop) should this be a viable compromise for me vs. doing the entire EGR cooler removal. My theory is that by eliminating EGR gas entering into the cooler and sealing up the valve completely I should be in good shape EGR wise so leaving the cooler installed I shouldn't really have issues from superheated gases and the fact that I have the coolant filter in place I should not have to worry about casting blockage for the EGR or oil coolers. What do you guys think of this approach?

snoboy

SNOBOY- You and I are on nearly the same egr elimination path... i.e. egr valve hole plugged with same spool, and uppipe welded shut.

Sooner or later I'll get in and take that turd of an egr cooler out, and Adam's intake and solid uppipe seem like a really good option for getting that accomplished.

However, I'm not in any hurry.

Last edited:
I get the feeling like I should add another gasket to the top of the plug as it seems almost a bit loose. I've had no problems either but I do think I'll get another gasket make myself feel better.

Just like when you're checking for propane leaks, how about spraying some soapy water over the top of the spool while the engine was running but not HOT. Wouldn't it get bubbly?

Ran ok when egr was good. Just got tired of changing it out. I welded it up. Saved myself some money.

Thank you. I put it in( welded egr) and the rpms are going crazy and hear it missing and all that when in park. Swapped it around back to the other egr and the same thing. I should of let you hear it when sitting there just off idle. What time you getting there in the am ?

I think I need to put in the y tube ? Think it can been done in the a.m. ? I found a little money. Ha Ha

Back