egt problems. water injection or something else?

dodgemaniac

okay i have the truck in my sig that i bought about a month ago. my egt's are okay when just driving empty but when i tow with it light, about 700lbs, my egts get hot when im trying to maintain a decent rpm on the highway. About 9,000 to 10,000 post turbo and they don't come down quickly. i know this is most likely because of the small exhaust wheel on my turbo.

My question is what should i do? i would like to get a water injection kit and just run strait water to cool things down but don't have the $1000 to spend on that right now. Also i still have full cut,s and no fuel plate. could these be contributing to my problem also? I would also like to make my truck get a little better mileage as i will be driving it more then pulling it here in the upcoming months.

Any insite on this would be great. And if anyone knows of or has a used water injection kit for sale i would be very interested. thanks

okay i have the truck in my sig that i bought about a month ago. my egt's are okay when just driving empty but when i tow with it light, about 700lbs, my egts get hot when im trying to maintain a decent rpm on the highway. About 9,000 to 10,000 post turbo and they don't come down quickly. i know this is most likely because of the small exhaust wheel on my turbo.

Fail.....No sig, 10,000* really?

Also i still have full cut,s and no fuel plate. could these be contributing to my problem also? I would also like to make my truck get a little better mileage as i will be driving it more then pulling it here in the upcoming months.

Full cuts and it's hot, no way. Never heard of such a thing....

Sorry I ment 1,000 for egt. Don't know why sig isn't there. Truck is a 97 12v 5 speed. Engine wise it is fire ringed and studded with a 65/66/14 turbo 5x14 injectoors and a 215 pump with full cuts.

I'm just lookking for the best think to do to decrease heat and getter better mileage.
Thanks

Ditch the full cuts, water injection will help. Im sure you have an exhaust and intake of some sort already.

Any opinions on what I should ditch them for? Something like a 181 maybe? Intake is currently a bhaf aand exhast is just strait 4" to a 6" stack

Would switching out the delivery valves be enough or would it just be a trial and error thing?

Thanks

Any opinions on what I should ditch them for? Something like a 181 maybe? Intake is currently a bhaf aand exhast is just strait 4" to a 6" stack

Would switching out the delivery valves be enough or would it just be a trial and error thing?

Thanks

131s. IMHO any delivery valve you run should have a 131 seat.

From what ive read 181 seats were the best? I put 131 seats with 191s in, they smoke and haze a lot. 181s with 181 seats minimal haze but a bit less power. My own delivery valves with 181 seats hazed a little more than 181s but less than 191s had very little smoke, yet great power. I know i didnt compare them directly so y info is void but a lot of threads recommend 181 seats.

i want to see dyno proof on the whole 131 thing

It's possible the fuel the 181 seats allow to leak past the seal with the barrel surface may result in more hp. I run a competition delivery valve and could totally care less about any additional ccs/hp that leaking may gain me which is probably none at all with these delivery valves; possibly some with 181s or 131s. I posted a thread describing my experience between the two. My truck is a dd so max hp is not my only goal.

Depends on how you look at it, I'd rather see a smaller compressor side too on something you tow with.

that makes sense to me however i dont have the funds to be switching out turbo's right now and i seem to make good power with the current setup. my original idea before i bought the truck was to get a s400 based 2.6 turbo for pulling and then use it in a twin setup during the months when i would be towing more but thats all a long ways off.

i like the sound of water injection and would defiantly go that route if i could find a good one used.

that makes sense to me however i dont have the funds to be switching out turbo's right now and i seem to make good power with the current setup. my original idea before i bought the truck was to get a s400 based 2.6 turbo for pulling and then use it in a twin setup during the months when i would be towing more but thats all a long ways off.

not as easy as you think, iirc good 2.6 turbos have a t4 foot, and you would have to completey re tune for both setups, that is alot of work. i knoe guys running pulling singles who have got the with good street manors.

Back