electric fans vs stock fan

bigsexy7.3

Im in the process of building a 2.5 truck to pull woth this season and was thinking of doing a set of electric fans instead of the stock one. What are the pros and cons of running electric fans. I wont be towing with it, just pulling and a little bit of driving around town. I know they say you gain hp from it but is it worth the cost. The kit Im looking at says it pushs 4000 cfm. Anyone know what stock flows?

About 10,000 cfm. You can't stick enough electrics on there to move as much as a mechanical. It'd probably be okay as long as you aren't towing, I'm not sure on any actual hp gain #'s.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you go the electric route I have a couple Lincoln mark viii fans I need rid of. Not a plug and play set up like your looking at but just one fan moves 4000 cfm. I cant fit them on my superduty radiator so im gonna see how these 4 14 inch fans do.

I've always read that the stock 12V fan pushes 5000CFMs. If you look at it, it isn't surprising. It's tiny and there is no technology into the fan blades.

I was looking at running old Ford Taurus fan's. Each one has a low setting of 4500CFM and a high setting of 5500CFM, and you can fit two. I was going to use an arduino, a temp probe in the radiator, and a couple relays w/ circuit breakers to make a system that will be much more efficient than stock.
I could even program a three way switch to be off, on, or auto.

If you are looking at newer trucks, the cooling package needs to be a huge mechanical fan to compensate for EGR coolers and being able to tow a 30,000lbs trailer behind you. They say the new Dodge/Cummins cooling package could work as a fan boat because it moves so much air.

I ended up buyingmy buddy derale fan setup. Where does everyone tao in for the stat

Is it a probe that slides in the radiator fins or is it a NPT switch? I'm gonna put mine in the head.

I drove my truck around for a while with no fan. Never had an overheating issue unless I sat at idle for quite a while it would start to get a little warm. A/C didn't work to well though.

If you go the electric route I have a couple Lincoln mark viii fans I need rid of. Not a plug and play set up like your looking at but just one fan moves 4000 cfm. I cant fit them on my superduty radiator so im gonna see how these 4 14 inch fans do.

I did the same thing...bought 2 of the Lincoln Mark VIII fans thinking I could run them both on my SD.
I had one mounted dead center, and it was enough to keep the truck cool in the spring...hot summer days, you needed to find a stretch of road to speed up and get the air flowing. (No towing!)

I bought a Flex-a-lite fan system for the 7.3L and got it to work...used it till last fall. Worked without any issues at all.
I needed more room in front of the engine, so off it came, and on went 4 separate 14" fans.

I like being able to look at the engine instead of the fan shroud...like to hear the engine, not the stock fan, and...it looks custom...not stock.

I am currently using one of the Mark VIII fans on my remote mounted trans cooler.

image-47.jpg

Last edited:
Back