Electronic assist turbo charger

Schrowang

Schroowwwaaaannnnnggggggg
a6d360c7107ee9562de8a48a04af54ef.jpg

Formula 1 style charger, who wants to build one for a diesel?

a6d360c7107ee9562de8a48a04af54ef.jpg

Formula 1 style charger, who wants to build one for a diesel?

It's more like electronically braked turbocharger, they use it to limit shaft rpm, like wastegate, but converting shaftpower to electricity, not wasting it like wg does.

It's more like electronically braked turbocharger, they use it to limit shaft rpm, like wastegate, but converting shaftpower to electricity, not wasting it like wg does.

Wrong, Its just like the title says, F1 has been expermint with them this yr, During shifts they give it a "boost" to keep it spooled, also helps when they go green to give them more power off the get go.

Another cool fact about them is, during decel they can use them as a high amp alt. for recharging the batterys.

Its actually pretty cool technology, not sure if we will ever see it in main stream, as I'm sure that little turbo cost more then most these new trucks out there.

Mike

How does it feel to be wrong about turbocharger technology yet again?

I'm just going to edit this post c's another one... Do you work for Holset?

Last edited:
The MGU-H(motor generator unit - heat) has two functions both to capture energy and also to use the captured energy for shaft power, which is part of the system known as ERS-H(energy recovery system - heat). Marelli has had images of a few variations of said unit floating around on the internet since late 2013.

Electronic assist turbochargers have been around for quite some time. Garret (IIRC) had one on some european cars. I think the idea was just to get some momentum on the shaft and get it moving. The electric motors can get the wheel spinning pretty dam well before exhaust gases take over. Over 100k RPM is what they claim.

15,000 rpm is nothing, 100,000 plus is what a pulling truck spins at.

No, that is engine rpm. It says 100k+ in the article. I was just blown away by that number LOL

Another cool fact about them is, during decel they can use them as a high amp alt. for recharging the batterys.
That's what I said, but they also charge batteries when shaft rpm need to be controlled, where wg would be used otherwise.

How does it feel to be wrong about turbocharger technology yet again?

I'm just going to edit this post c's another one... Do you work for Holset?

I was not wrong, you dont know **** about F1.

Yes it is also used to assist when accelerating but more important is energy recovery because those are hybrid race cars. Electronic assist is nothing new.

I was not wrong, you dont know **** about F1.

Yes it is also used to assist when accelerating but more important is energy recovery because those are hybrid race cars. Electronic assist is nothing new.

Work on getting your story straight. Yet again you act like you know what you're talking about.

Work on getting your story straight. Yet again you act like you know what you're talking about.

MGU-H (where the ‘h’ stands for heat)is an energy recovery system connected to the turbocharger of the engine and converts heat energy from exhaust gases into electrical energy. The energy can then be used to power the MGU-K (and thus returned to the drivetrain) or be retained in the ES for subsequent use. Unlike the MGU-K which is limited to recovering 2MJ of energy per lap, the MGU-H is unlimited. The MGU-H also controls the speed of the turbo, speeding it up (to prevent turbo lag) or slowing it down in place of a more traditional wastegate.

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/championship/inside-f1/understanding-f1-racing/Energy_Recovery_Systems.html

15,000 rpm is nothing, 100,000 plus is what a pulling truck spins at.

100k is practically nothing in the turbocharger world. For a large frame turbo it is pretty quick but small gas car turbos approach and often times exceed 200k RPM. That is pretty fuggin quick!

100k is practically nothing in the turbocharger world. For a large frame turbo it is pretty quick but small gas car turbos approach and often times exceed 200k RPM. That is pretty fuggin quick!

Tip speed is what matters, not rpm.

Back