Engine bay insulation

chris lang

While I'm at it I'm getting rid of the factory insulation crap. I had to cut it off around the valve cover so it would drop all that chit in the engine.
My plan was to use monstaliner or that raptor liner tuck bed coatings along the entire bottom of the cab and firewall and use stick on insulation like dynomat or thermo tec, but then I found this http://m.summitracing.com/search/brand/lizardskin
I've read great reviews on it and it would kill 2 birds with one stone.
What have you guys done?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
I used lizard skin kind of hard to tell from this pic tho
afac5a100d6152dc43980fc116fd61ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, is that cummins apex red paint? If so, how's it holding up and did you have to do anything to prep the aluminum?

Also, is that cummins apex red paint? If so, how's it holding up and did you have to do anything to prep the aluminum?

The paint is from kbs coatings I got the motor coated kit, the prep is the same for steel/ aluminum. It's a pretty in depth system but the results are amazing, it seems to be very disable so far but I havnt ran the engine yet because I'm still working on finishing my twin turbos. The paint I used is called fire red

Thanks man as far as the lizard skin goes it was super easy to apply just skuff the psint mask off and spray . It seems to stick very well

I guess I'll find out. I'm gonna rip all that factory crap out when I get the motivation to do something boring.

I noticed a slight sound increase but nothing to worry yourself over. Mostly, its easier to pick up on timing rattle. I'm lining the interior with raamat when I replace the carpet. I like that clean look in the engine bay. I do hear great things about the lizard skin but don't like that look. I might try it on the trans tunnel though.

Last edited:
I took off the insulation on my Common rail, and added Dynamat. My factory insulation was torn and had oil on it, so thats why it was removed. No, the noise wasnt too bad, but it wasnt my daily driver.

I noticed a slight sound increase but nothing to worry yourself over. Mostly, its easier to pick up on timing rattle. I'm lining the interior with raamat when I replace the carpet. I like that clean look in the engine bay. I do hear great things about the lizard skin but don't like that look. I might try it on the trans tunnel though.

Did you get rid of the factory stuff while you had your engine out or with it in?

Back