engine build advice

nickg9785

ok so i blew the head gasket in my truck last week and just got to pulling the head off tonight, and most of the cross hatching is gone compared to last time i had the head off 6k miles ago. now i have a bone stock motor with 191k on it that i want to build for it, and assuming the cyliners are in good shape what direction should i go with the build. truck will make around 750-800 on fuel. i was thinking about keeping the stock rotating assmembly and just getting the block decked and studding the mains and arp rod bolts. also i have heard mixed reviews on line honing the mains when installing studs. or should i just leave the bottom end alone and just get the deck blocked and a set of 625s witha oringed head. truck makes about 85psi right now.

Throw a stock rebuild in it. Balance it, Main studs, HD Rod Bolts, O-ring the head and ARP 425s will probably be more than enough. Shouldn't need anything extreme.

okay thats kind of what i was thinking. going to send it to a machine shop and see if it needs to be bored. if so ill have it bored 20 over and run a set of marine pistons.

Don't run the Marine Pistons. Way low compression ratio. Look into something more stockish similar to the Mahle 286210.

any idea on where i could get a set of mahle 286210 pistions and rings. seems everyone sells the marine style

Back