Engine lacking performance

0 Xero 0

Turbolover
The truck I have in my sig doesn't perform how I think it should. I put a he351cw on it and everything I've read about it say the low end torque is awesome. The turbo is unimpressive to me. If I rev it up and take off from a start I can break the tires loose, but just going from a stop it's nothing special. I advanced my timing to 15* as well. I know the 370s aren't very efficient, but I figured the truck would be more fun around town. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Your probably gunna want more than 15* too to notice a big difference

Timing would help. It sputters when I rev it up in neutral, but I drive this truck daily and it gets to -30 or below here in winter and 15* is a good compromise. Peak egts are controllable. I haven't done an all out run to check for a while. When I'm cruising at 70 it stays around 550-625 * and never has gotten over 950 * on a hard pull without a load on it. I have the afc housing and plate all the way forward, but the preboost screw is around half way in and the star wheel is fairly tight. It builds boost pretty quickly (although not as quickly as everyone makes it sound), but the wastegate starts opening around 18 psi or so just guessing. I can't get over 24 the way it is. I need move my housing back to about half or so and my plate all the way to see what happens.

Yeah... I want to up the boost to around 38 psi or so. It's a pain without a spring gate on though. If I have time this weekend, I'll try tightening the wastegate.

Wastegate tension is your problem, tighten it up and you'll be impressed!!!

Didn't you plumb some kind of valve where you could restrict airflow to the wastegate and increase opening pressure?

Back