Engine Locked Up

Striper

Wildlife Tormenter
The other day, I was letting my truck warm up before heading out with my boat. Oil pressure and level were both good at start up. After running for about 5 minutes, it just shut down like I turned the key off with no abnormal noises. Tried to re-start and motor seems to be locked up. I tried to turn the engine both ways with the belt removed, but still no luck. Engine was rebuilt 5000 miles ago. Trans and converter were just done 500 miles ago after losing another input. Oil level has not changed. Should I go ahead and pull the head or is there any chance that it could be in the trans? WTF???

Unbolt your convertor bolts and try that. If not pull the valve cover and inspect. If needed pull injectors and try to turn over.

Maybe undo the converter bolts and see if it'll spin freely.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

How can I unbolt the converter bolts if I can't spin the motor?

Sounds like a hydro lock careful you can snap the crank with the starter! Pull the valve cover and see if anything looks wierd then pull the injectors and try to turn it over if it still doesn't turn your gonna have to drop the pan!

For some reason, I didn't even think to check. I will take a look today when I get home from work.

Any ecm codes?

There were 2 codes. 0480, which is the cooling fan circut. It has come up before. And 0520, not quite sure what this one is.

Hopefully this weekend I can spend some time on it.

P0524 diagnostics...you've got to check the oil once in awhile! LOL

attachment.php

Attachments

• P0524.gif
    P0524.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I did right before I started it. It is full. Are the oil pumps known to fail? When it was rebuilt, I had asked the person doing the work if it needed to be replaced. His reply was no...

No they generally don't fail, but they can..

I also agree it could be hydro locked. I would start by removing injectors and then turn it over by hand.

Come on I know it sucks but this is a mechanical failure start tearing it down! For a diesel to stop spinning even at idle is a severe failure if this happened at highway speeds you would be looking thru the block! I hope your builder has a warranty if you can't pull it apart tow it to his shop!

The trans can be removed without unbolting the converter. The crank will turn over after the rod and main caps are removed...LOL

Back