Engine stand questions.

CaptainChrysler

Ok I have a question about a 5.9 engine stand. I did look through the old threads, they are closed, so I am posting this.

Does anyone feel that you should support the block on both sides?

Is it too much weight to hang a complete engine from one side mount?

Opinions?

When I rebuilt mine, I used a regular gasser engine stand a buddy had, I think it was a Harbor freight model. That being said I mounted it sideways using the motor mount holes after I mounted it from the back and it seemed to flex the stand a little more than I liked. Though, it all depends on the stand you use...

While on the subject of engine stands, I too would like to know if anybody has mounted a 5.9 long block on a 2000lb engine stand from summit racing? Recently purchased one and was hoping it would hold without mounting to the side of the block.

Well I have mine on a 2000lb stand from Harbor Freight and so far so good. It's not completely assembled yet though, just the block and crank right now.

I just did this on Saturday, 2000lb stand from Harbor Freight. Complete motor and all accessories hanging on the stand. Pulled the motor from the truck, put it on the stand. Even rolled it from the front of the shop to the rear that way. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input.

I have it mounted to an el cheapo engine stand right now. I going to build a HD one though.

Captain,
Sorry for hijacking your thread and thanks to all who replied to my question.

It is confirmed - a completely assembled 5.9 cummins with all the accessories attached can safely be supported, as well as rolled, on a 2000lb rated engine stand. The bell housing adapter plate (if that's what it's called) was removed from the block and the engine stand attached.

Works great!!

I dont think holding an engine from one side will have anywhere close to impact on the block that running the motor at anything over stock power will.

Heres my el cheapo engine stand on steroids.

Meh1014.jpg

Find a s-cam and a slack adjuster off of a class 8 semi and weld the s-cam thru the tube and mount the slack. All you need to turn the engine on the stand is a 9/16 end wrench.

Back