Engine stand?

lowdiesel

What stand do you guys recommend to hold fully dressed 5.9. I plan on installing turbo, head and accessories while on stand to be able to put back into truck as complete as possible

The red one at Harbor Freight will hold a fully dressed Cummins without a problem. The orange one will not safely hold a bare Cummins. I do not know the weight ratings of them off the top of my head though, I just remember that one is orange and one is red.

*EDIT* Just looked it up, you want this one. Engine stand

Last edited:
i would still make a front brace, the orange one has flex with a fully dressed for small block on it

The only issue I see is the block is so long that it may be a little front heavy...

ya somethin about 4 or 6 3/8" bolts holding a true 1000 lb's i never liked

Other than paint, and the first one comes with the leveler I think they are the same. We have the HF version and it will pick a fully dressed CTD without a problem and can still roll it around without having to stand on the back to keep it from flipping.

Other than paint, and the first one comes with the leveler I think they are the same. We have the HF version and it will pick a fully dressed CTD without a problem and can still roll it around without having to stand on the back to keep it from flipping.

Probably the same, I just worry with these cheap units that the ram might go bad pretty fast, but what's a guy to do? lol

I bought a Twister engine stand from Kenny @ K&S Steel Products. These stands are rated at 3000 lbs and a 60:1 gearbox that turns the engine with ease. He makes adapters for John Deere, IH and 5.9 Cummins engines. We have 3 of them in our shop and are a well built stand. If you do a search on Twister engine stands, you may find some pictures. There was an article in the Jan. 11 issue of Successful Farming that you can look up, also. If you do any type of engine work on a regular basis, I would recommend this stand.

I bought a Twister engine stand from Kenny @ K&S Steel Products. These stands are rated at 3000 lbs and a 60:1 gearbox that turns the engine with ease. He makes adapters for John Deere, IH and 5.9 Cummins engines. We have 3 of them in our shop and are a well built stand. If you do a search on Twister engine stands, you may find some pictures. There was an article in the Jan. 11 issue of Successful Farming that you can look up, also. If you do any type of engine work on a regular basis, I would recommend this stand.

Looks good, but how much? $1000?

Back