Excessive Smoke early '04

Got Milk?

One hook at a time
Not sure what else to check.
I rebuilt the engine last year due to a dropped seat. its got a new 62mm Taterbuilt turbo and brand new Bosh OEM injectors. During acceleration it will blow a steady dark haze and feels sluggish (even with stock program), and continues to blow a light haze when cruising down the road. @ 70mph cruising down the road boost is around 15psi, 900* egts, and roughly 11-15k psi RP. I have replaced the FCA. Pulled the head to check the pistons/cylinder walls and, and looks fine. Compression is 440-461psi in all cylinders. It feels like it is excessively over fueling at low rpm. What could be causing my issues?

Yeah. And I had the same problem with the previous set of injectors too

I just did some HP tuners on a truck that was the same way. Had 180hp industrial nozzles and I questioned spray angle. He showed me the invoice and the correct ones were ordered. That doesent mean the correct ones were installed tho. I was able to greatly minimize it but no matter what the haze is always there under any form of acceleration. It's gone when cruising but is there under acceleration. I chocked it up to crappy nozzles. He was happy with it, I was not.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

RP seems low to me? Boost and EGT seem high unless you have large tires or something.

I pressure tested the turbo to intake, up to 60psi. No leaks. Removed the turbo and inspected it. The truck has no low end power, and can't even tow a trailer.

What do you have for a fuel supply system? Did you check supply pressure? Also is the actual boost pressure 15psi or is that including atmospheric pressure?

I do not have any smoke at Idle, the supply pump is still the factory in tank pump for now

The truck has no low end power, and can't even tow a trailer.

This was not an issue with my truck sonit appears we have different reasons for having smoke

I found the prefilter was my main problem. Removed it and idle smoke was greatly minimized. Gained 30# of boost
The dirty filter sure didn't help. However it would be hazing at 10 # of boost while lightly accelerating. At wot it's clean as a whistle. Anything over 20# it's clean. The tater turbo would hit 45#. I tried severe retarded timing and advanced timing. Nothing helped. He was more than happy because it was much better than the Smarty tunes. I told him I would be ditching the junk nozzles.

It's got me quite flustered, what are some temps and pressures that I should be seeing? I'm going to try and ride around tomorrow with a snap on scanner and check some things

It's got me quite flustered, what are some temps and pressures that I should be seeing? I'm going to try and ride around tomorrow with a snap on scanner and check some things

One thing that both of our issues have in common is that both of our turbos are Tater turbos. I don't think the turbo is the issue but who knows. I do know that I preferred to run single event tunes and on the truck I was working on the single event tune seem to be cleaner. I however had 100% nozzles.

Is it possible a nozzle cracked as soon as you started running them? Manufacturer defects do occur and are not unheard of.

Sorry for the late reply, Boost pressure should be around 20-25psi(34-39psi with a 14.5 atmospheric pressure) under full load on a stock truck, and fuel supply pressure(which you would have to check with a gauge at the cp3) should be around 10-12psi at idle and should be in that 5-10psi range under full load, as long as it is not restricting.

i need to rig up a gauge somehow to check the supply pressure. but i figured it would have a problem building RP if it had low supply pressure

Back