Exhaust housing size on Rip's twins

dieselduck

I decided to buy Rip's twins from Source Automotive, the standard S300/S400 kit. The kit comes with either a 12cm or 14cm exhaust housing on the S300. The S300 has 62 comp & 65 exhaust, and the S400 has 75 comp & 88 exhaust with a 1.32 AR.
I admit that I don't know alot about turbo sizing, I assume the 12cm will spool quicker and the 14cm will make more HP. I will be running a smarty with Flux 2 inj (100hp) with the stock CP3. What are the pro's and con's to both the 12 & 14cm housings? Will spool time (lag) be that much differant between the two? I just want a hot street truck, tow light (5000lbs), that runs fairly clean.

12cm is gonna spool faster, I think I would run a 14 if you are not going to tow that heavy it will perform better on the top end and flow better than a 12. But you are not running a lot of fuel so either should do the trick as you will not be pushing this turbo setup to its limit.

12cm is gonna spool faster, I think I would run a 14 if you are not going to tow that heavy it will perform better on the top end and flow better than a 12. But you are not running a lot of fuel so either should do the trick as you will not be pushing this turbo setup to its limit.

How much quicker on the spool? Noticable?

congrats on a great twin kit -- Source is cream of the crop when it comes to twins.

As for sizing, it all depends on intended use, and the hp level you're after. The 12cm housing will work great with your current fueling mods although you may want to look into some pump upgrades.

If your only talkin about spool dif. from 12 or 14, I'd say its only gonna make about 100 rpm diff.

I'd go 14 for lower drive pressures and egt's. With that 65 turbine wheel, its gonna spool great either way.

I have Rips Twins and they are a great kit. I Started out with the 12 and a year later switched to a 14cm. i have noticed zero difference in spool up, only thing is lower egt's on the track. congrats on the kit.

I have the 62/14/65 on top of S475, Source Automotive Twins, on my 02. I have about 120,000 miles on them, and like the setup very much. At the altitude you are at, and the fact you don't tow heavy, I would lean to the 14. If you don't drag race, you probably won't see much of the EGT drop. The 14 will reduce drive pressure, and EGT's, but mainly at higher rpm's.

I drag race (alot), daily drive, tow pretty heavy (combined weight of about 17,500lbs), and live at 4600ft altitude. I dyno'd at 638hp, and I have no desire to change anything on my twin setup.

Paul

Back