External Oil Coolers

Cummins12Club

Happy Dinosaur
I have seen a few truck running external oil coolers. I am searching for an opinion on running two external oil coolers in line. The ones I am looking at have -10 AN fittings. My only concern is restricting oil flow volume. Not too concerned about a pressure drop for these engines can make plenty of oil pressure. I've also heard that 90* fittings should be kept to an absolute minimum for they can restrict oil flow and cook bearings. Does this hold any truth? Any info is appreciated.

image.jpg
In this pic you can see the cooler and dual filter setup we ran for a season on a 3.0 motor with filled block and head. We ran 50w oil and turned 5800. Did not have any problems with heat or lubrication.

I wanted plenty of juice for the drive by wire system and no alternator.

Yep, just the one cooler after the filters. Didn't have an actual oil temp gauge but the laser thermometer on the oil filters were ~140 start ~210 at end of track depending on the track that temp would go up ~15 degrees.

All the fittings were straight and 1/2" if I remember correctly, possibly 5/8 hose.

Last edited:
Yep, just the one cooler after the filters. Didn't have an actual oil temp gauge but the laser thermometer on the oil filters were ~140 start ~210 at end of track depending on the track that temp would go up ~15 degrees.

All the fittings were straight and 1/2" if I remember correctly, possibly 5/8 hose.

Would you for see any issues with running two oil coolers?

I would doubt much of a problem with running two. One was sufficient for what we needed it for so we never considered another. I know it's not some high dollar "billet" something or another with someone like Haisley's name on it but it did the job flawlessly for that setup. Depending on the application it would have netted more cooling, but at speeds under 30mph it did pretty good.

I would doubt much of a problem with running two. One was sufficient for what we needed it for so we never considered another. I know it's not some high dollar "billet" something or another with someone like Haisley's name on it but it did the job flawlessly for that setup. Depending on the application it would have netted more cooling, but at speeds under 30mph it did pretty good.

What brand is yours? I was looking at a mistimoto only because it was the only ones I could find with -10 fittings

I cannot remember brand but it came from summit or jegs. The truck is long gone so I cannot look at it either.

Anyone run some sort of aux oil pump to circulate oil thru the engine and/or oil cooler when the truck is not running?? I would think it would help keep temps down between hooks...

Back