f-550 rear springs

Blackdog

Hillbilly Deluxe
I know I have read about guys putting these on f-250-350's and I just wanted to make sure that there shouldn't be any fitment issues with me putting them on the back of my Excursion. Reason is I am dropping off the cash to the salvage yard in the morning to get the springs and blocks and u-bolts and overload pads pulled.

I put a set of F550 Springs on my dads '99 F350, Easy to do, no problems at all.. The springs are high enough that i even ditched the Stock F350 Blocks and i retained stock height
I have a set of 450 springs for my F250..that i will do someday

550 springs are in. Only problem is the rear portion of the overload spring is hitting the sheetmetal under the body when it hits a bump but I got a solution for that and it will still utilize the spring. Pics to come soon.

wow how is ur ride now
my 03 550 is pretty stout an a lil rough on the bones its so stiff

wow how is ur ride now
my 03 550 is pretty stout an a lil rough on the bones its so stiff

It rides like an old dump truck unloaded which is just the way I want it. At least it isn't going to sag in the rear when I hook a trailer to it now. I really did it for what little bit of sled pullin I will be doing this year.

Pics

IMG_0381.jpg
[/Img]
IMG_0382.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0383.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0384.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0385.jpg
[/IMG]

I wonder if the springs are long enough to fit on the Dodges? I am playing around with the thought of upgrading those.

cool ..what did the yard charge for them?.. i'm ditching my 8" BDS lift and looking to get a few inches..is the ride super bad with those?..Did you end up swapping a different rear etc ..I thought i read another post of yours regarding that?
Thanks, more pictures.
Deo

cool ..what did the yard charge for them?.. i'm ditching my 8" BDS lift and looking to get a few inches..is the ride super bad with those?..Did you end up swapping a different rear etc ..I thought i read another post of yours regarding that?
Thanks, more pictures.
Deo

I didn't swap in a rear yet. I got them from the salvage yard for $300 for springs and u-bolts and bolts. As for the ride, It isn't bad now. I went to Advance auto parts and got one of there shackle lift kits and then went and got some grade 8 bolts for it, Then took a c-clamp and sucked down the helper spring and put a bolt through the closest holes on the shackles under the leaf pack and over the helper at both ends of the springs so I utilize that helper since you can't in any way put the overload pads on the frame at all. Using them helper springs now makes it ride almost stock. I did hook on my
20' 3 axle trailer to it and it didn't even drop at all.

What do you want to sell your lift for?

Maybe, Maybe not. This Excursion is for the most part being set up for pulling eventually. I got a 1 1/2" shackles for the front but haven't decided to put them on.

how has it been?.. did you add the overload perches to the frame?.. I just swapped soem modifeied b codes and I am working on adding the perches.. gonna have to do some drilling / modifying etc. Is your overload the same length front and back? or is one side longer? if so which is longer?
Thanks
Deo

how has it been?.. did you add the overload perches to the frame?.. I just swapped soem modifeied b codes and I am working on adding the perches.. gonna have to do some drilling / modifying etc. Is your overload the same length front and back? or is one side longer? if so which is longer?
Thanks
Deo

It has been doing good. The stiffness took a little getting used to but neither my wife or I even notice the difference now. Their was no way to get the perches in there due to room so I ended up using some longer shackles that you can get from an auto parts store. I sucked down the o-load with a c-clamp and put one bolt for the shackle on top the o-load and the bottom bolt under the leaf pack. Used a set of shackles front and back on both sides and it now rides alot on that single o-load but it has yet to sag hauling my 3 axle trailer with a farmall on it. Oh, My o-loads are the same length.

jeezz..I bet that thing rides like a tank now.

Like I said above, At first it road like an old empty Mack dump truck but now with the use of the overloads and some seat time it is great. My wife loves the new ride and I like that I have had 10k hooked to it and before and after showed an 1/8th inch difference in height and hauled like a dream.

Back