F-650 5.9 to 8.3, research phase

angusguernsey

I have a 2000 F-650 work truck. The original engine is a 5.9 Cummins. Last week the mount for the injector pump separated, trashing the pump. I don't know what havoc has been wreaked in the gear train. So for now I've just parked the truck until I figure out what to do with it.
It has an automatic transmission and is licensed at 26K, so a CDL isn't needed. It has always been an underpowered dog on the road.

My question for those in the know is; how difficult, or feasible would it be to put an 8.3 motor in it? I know lots of diesel pusher RV's used them. Are transmissions interchangeable? What about motor mounts?

If anyone has any advice, and I know everyone has an opinion, I would like to hear it.

I would think you would have to do a lot of modification for the 8.3 to fit in the F-650. If its set up like the water trucks we use you may get away with moving the radiator, and all that forward a bit since the hood folds forward. I don't see it being cost effective solution. Wish I could help you a bit more, hopefully someone else will chime in on this.

Do a search over on the tdr a few guys have done it. I forgot the guys name on tdr he worked at rocky mtn cummins , I think and used it as tow rig for his cummins drag truck. He used a chevy or gmc 6500 i think. The two i like used the ISL 8.9L instead of 8.3L..and has a jake brake. Buck is on here with his chevy 3500 hd service truck. hes in the alternate diesel motorsports section for some reason.
I'm looking to do a isl p pump in a a f550 chassis i have with '50 willys jeep cab ... make a lil big rig etc.. its slow moving project as i'm in middle of house closing etc...argh.
Thanks,
Deo

Back