F1 Injector Solenoid VS Stock Solenoid??

dodgediesel

Canadian Diesel Guy
Quick question for Don. Is there any difference between Flux solenoid's vs a stock Cummins injector solenoid?? I have wiped out 2 injector solenoid's in the past 6 months. Also, would it be a good idea to change out the valve cover gasket too? I was told that it might add to the solenoids going out on me. I'm guessing the Smarty TNT isn't helping either...:hehe:

How would the valve cover gasket have anything to do with the injector solenoid?

How would the valve cover gasket have anything to do with the injector solenoid?

On later 3rd gens, the injector wiring harness is built into the gasket. There have been cases where the harness shorted out.

To the OP; did the solenoids fail electrically or mechanically?

Paul

I have no idea. I was driving on the highway, check engine light came on and then the truck started to run very very bad. I pulled over, checked codes and pulled up a 2146. I cleared it and finished driving home with no issues. I pulled the valve cover off and checked all the injectors and they were at 0.9 ohm except for #1. It was at 2.2 ohm. How does a guy tell if it failed electrically or mechanically?

Im not sure what there supposed to ohm but 2.2 seems hi. Mine all ohm at .6

You could also ohm the harness, that would tell if there was a problem there.

On later 3rd gens, the injector wiring harness is built into the gasket. There have been cases where the harness shorted out.

To the OP; did the solenoids fail electrically or mechanically?

Paul

Ya. I remembered that later on today.

I have no idea. I was driving on the highway, check engine light came on and then the truck started to run very very bad. I pulled over, checked codes and pulled up a 2146. I cleared it and finished driving home with no issues. I pulled the valve cover off and checked all the injectors and they were at 0.9 ohm except for #1. It was at 2.2 ohm. How does a guy tell if it failed electrically or mechanically?

They should ohm between 0.6-0.9 I would say a new solenoid would fix it.

The other 5 injectors are 0.9 ohm and #1 is at 2.2 ohm. I was guessing the injectors are all the same but the tips are different from company to company. Just wanted to make sure before I spent $1100.00 on Flux injectors.. I'm more curious what kills the solenoid part of the injector. I understand the higher pressure cracking stuff.

I don't think they can be bought new, my company is BOSCH autorized and I cannot buy them new from them.

Solenoids

I've been there and done that. I don't think Don has his own solenoids. He can verify I'm sure. But he may have some good used ones,.. don't know that but a guess. I do know II had some good used ones. I looked into this issue closely when I discovered I had a few bad ones.

You can only get a Bosch solenoid on one of their rebuilt injectors or a new one. They do NOT sell them as a separate part,... unbeliveably. That what you call market control.

II told me they would match a set of good used ones for I believe I was told $45 each which is a fair price and those are off of cores that they will trade in to Bosch to get new rebuilds.

II is one source and they have a fair price. There are others obviously.

i get them for free when i send mine into II, I felt bad after a few so i paid 30dollars for the last one.

I bought a new injector yesterday and it has a stainless steel body. I'm guessing it will hopefully match the rest for timing. It's ports are made just a little different.

We do not have a special solenoid.

Once you get past about .6 ohms, things are heading down hill. .4-.5 is perfect. reset and calibrate the multimeter you are using before testing to account for the meter leads.

Our test best re-calibrates itself on each injector so we dont use a multimeter, but they will work fine to test resistance. make sure the leads are disconnected from the ECM to the solenoid before testing. We test inductance too. Most are about 58-62 microhenries.

Most of the time, you cant just swap a solenoid. This knocks the injector out of calibration. If you happen to get one dead on the same as the one you removed, you might be ok, but that is so rare we end up recalibrating 999 out of 1000. Yes, the injector may still run, but without good precision. The difference between a properly set up injector VS one that is perhaps 30% lean or rich can be a tolerance difference of .0001". 10 thousands of an inch. Bosch solenoids are not built to that tolerance from part to part.

Back