Factory Cyl. Head thickness?

Rob24vCTD

Anyone have an idea on what the factory cylinder head thickness is? Machine shop never told me how much they took off last time I had work done, and Im trying to stay away from using a modified oversized gasket. I've searched and searched and can only find minimum thickness. Thanks in advance. Rob

Also how much can be taken off the head befor running into problems with the stock gasket?

When we have heads resurfaced we always have a valve job done at the same time and then there is no problem because the valve to head deck measurement remains the same, this way a stock thickness gasket will always work. The only thing that might need addressed when doing a valve job is spring seat pressure which is easily adjusted with shims. Block deck machine work should be the only thing that requires a thicker than stock head gasket.

Last edited:
But if you deck the head your changing the piston to injector distance....altering the timing.

Jeff at Mumua Diesel (goes by Snedge) is a Cummins dealer. He has all the info you need.

Last edited:
Back