Fan Clutch R&R

D45

Ok, enough is enough..........with 117,000 miles, a P0483 code and engine temps 8-12 degrees warmer than normal, I am going to bite the bullet and buy/install a new fan clutch

Is this kit needed or worth it?

http://www.genosgarage.com/FAN-CLUTCH-WRENCH-SET-89-07-59L/productinfo/WRENCHSET1/#.Vb5q28so7qA

Only $40 but I don't want to pay a shop $200+ to do the install

Anything special or fancy about removing and replacing the fan clutch?

Rock Auto has these instructions:

http://www.haydenauto.com/Upload/Ha...structionSheets/P-464-thermal-fan-clutchs.pdf

Rock Auto sells some for $130-$180..........Hayden, Four Seasons, and GPD

Advanced Auto sells CARQUEST for $213 and Dorman for $265. Good thing about AA is that you can always find 30% off online coupons, but it online, print it out, and go pick it up at your local store.

O'Reilly sells Murray brand for $220 with lifetime warranty

Autozone sells Torqflo (?????) for $220 with a lifetime warranty. Order online and get 20%off right now also

NAPA sells them for $192.60, just not sure who makes them for NAPA or what the warranty it

I think the dealer wants $350ish...............I know its a lot, but my stock unit lasted for 100,000 miles.

I would love to save $150 and buy a parts store clutch, just not sure if it would be worth it

I can get a new Mopar fan clutch for $336

Buying an auto part store fan clutch is very tempting, for half the price too

I have replaced one with one from advance and didn't have any issues. While you have it apart replace the belt also.

I just did the belt, tensioner and Fluidampr a few months ago

I've heard some baaaad stuff about the Dorman fan clutch

How long has yours been on for?

We put it on a friends dads truck, I guess two to three years ago now and probably 25k miles. So far I have not heard of any issues with it.

Good to know, I would be glad to get 2-3 years out of a fan clutch that is less than 50% cheaper than the Mopar part

"IF" that tool set is decent quality, money well spent.
When I replaced the fan hub bearing:
Pulled fan, fan clutch, shroud all one unit.
"Made" my own fan clutch tool. A used box end wrench and a grinder (can't remember what size I started with). Had to "thin" the open end and open it up a bit. Ended up using the handle of some fencing pliers to wedge in against the head of the bolts that retain the pulley and the shaft for the fan clutch. Redneck as all-get-out but worked better than the POS I got from Auto Zone (which got returned).
20140830_183148_zpso119qvft.jpg
[/URL]

Those don't look like fence plyers. Pretty sure they are hoof nippers or horse shoe pullers. LOL

I've never seen that kit from Geno's but it looks like it'd be nice. I've been installing the Hayden brand clutches from Rock Auto. They save my customers money, so we will see how they hold up. Make sure to get the wiring harness tucked in properly. I've replaced more for wiring damage than anything else. It's nice to have an extra set of hands to pull the fan and shroud together.

Thanks, I went with the Hayden (3281 I believe) for $135 shipped from RA

Back