fan shroud difference?

wildman6bt

Diesel = Broke
I put a wanted add on here for a fan shroud for my 2003 and no luck so far. I've been looking on eBay and one says for 04-07 and it is totally different from mine. Did they make 03 different from the others? Do they use different radiators too or is the mounting the same?
Mainly what I need to know is could I put a later model fan shroud on my radiator?

I've seen your ad before.
The later shrouds have separate brackets to mount the shroud, which are bolted to the engine.
The early '04 and '03 shroud mounts directly to the radiator.

If you could get me a pic of what's left of your shroud, specifically how it mounts to the radiator, I might be able to turn one up in my yard haunting.

Mark.

I'll get a pic tomorrow for you Mark. I called the only local junkyard that has diesels and he said I'd just have to come and look. So I'm going to go there Thursday or Friday because I'm off work.

IMAG0529_zps5f554514.jpg

IMAG0530_zpscf38cc09.jpg

Mark, you don't happen to have a fan clutch would ya?
I do have a used fan clutch for $100 shipped.

I'll keep my eyes out for the shroud.
Now that I have a pic of it to memorize it's features, it will be easier to spot.

Mark.

Ok mark the bottom pic has the broken tabs.

Last edited:
If I had one, would you splice, solder and shrink wrap another end on yours?

I have a junker clutch I can send you, which has a good end on it.
I have no history on it and the center hub wavers just a tiny bit when it's spun.
You could try it as it is and if it works, fine, if not cut the cable and use it on yours.

Just pay shipping and you can have this one.

Mark.

I would have to cut into the hard cord part and I think it would be under a strain and wouldn't survive. I'd rather just replace it.

Okay.
My good one is from an '07 and the wiring and retainer is different, but I think you can make it work.
The early ones have plastic at strategic points to retain it, whereas the later ones have the wiring encased is a removable (by bending tabs) steel casing.

The pics below illustrate the later version:

Fanclutchwiring6_zpseec4e584.jpg

Fanclutchwiring7_zps556f2c6a.jpg

The "free" clutch I offered was apparently from an '03 or '04, because it looks most like your pics, as far as the wiring goes.
Then again, it could also be an aftermarket thing, because it was also a replacement clutch.

Mark.

I did find a shroud at the junkyard. Also went to Napa and got a fan clutch for $218 and has the same markings as the one from Chrysler that's $480.

I was thinking of ya' yesterday!
I was in a yard looking for a shroud and came up with none.

Thanks for telling us you got what you needed. :)

Mark.

I have a new unused shroud for an 05 hanging in the shop from my Conversion truck that I didn't use.

Back