Fan wrenches

j-rod

Up to no good
I need to pick up a set of fan wrenches to take the fan off of my 02. I read several places that I need a 36 and 72 mm. What brand do you guys suggest? I have heard they aren't all created equal.

Call me a jack pine savage butt, a air chisel is one size fits all. I know it's not the greatest idea but it works and you probably already have one.

I used an air chisel back in the day, but it's too nasty looking if it doesn't break loose right away. Fan wrench with a 1/2" long ratchet does the trick.

I use a pretty cheap set. It's prob been used 30-40 times with no issues.

Air chiseled mine. No luck. Ended up sawzalling it off. Yes I know left handed thread. Tried fan wrenches with a 1/2 drive breaker bar and cheater pipe. No luck. Tried a air chisel again. Got PO'ed air chiseled the nut into a mutant ball of Steel then cut off the whole shaft and bought a new one. That's my horror story.

Holy crap to the last 2 posts!

Forrest, you are freakin beast, so I believe it.

Cetaneaddict, that does NOT sound like fun.

Holy crap to the last 2 posts!

Forrest, you are freakin beast, so I believe it.

Cetaneaddict, that does NOT sound like fun.

The truck was a complete virgin. Untouched and from Georgia. I brought it home and started to do the KDP and ran into that problem. I've done a few for my friend's trucks and never encounter such a stubborn nut untill then.

Last one I did I had wrenches on it, and would hit the wrench with a 2x4 to break it loose. :)

I bought the Lisle (sp?) Kit. Comes with around 5 sizes and a attachment for a air hammer. Haven't had one it wouldn't break loose yet....

Sent from my paperweight

I rented a set of "OEM" brand wrenches. Worked quite well, and thankfully I didn't have any issues like some of you guys getting it broke free.

Big, long-assed chisel situated on one of the hex points, and a BFH.
I lay an old leather coat over the blades so I don't end up donating blood to the cause.
Always leave the belt on.

NEVER failed, yet.

Mark.

Air chisel with a long blunt punch. Never failed. 150psi into a tool rated for 90 sure helps, too. ;) lol

I used to use a vise grip chain wrench around the pully with a piece of fan belt and a wrench. Now I have the snap-on set with the wrenches and the pivot attachment to the air hammer like said above. But I haven't got to use it yet. Seems thats always the way it goes. Haha.

Probably @ work under a truck, Tapatalk 2

Back