Fastest Spooling 600hp...

wilmesbm

1999 24v VP motor, 6x.013s, Edge Drag Comp, Airdog 165, built 48re with a manual VB in a 2wd RCSB Dodge 1500 weighing in at 5200lbs with me in the driver's seat.

The truck is a street toy and will, Lord willing, be competing in the 12.0 class in the ODSS series next year.

So, here's what I'm after, a wicked fast spooling 600 to 650ish horsepower. Something that is an absolute blast to drive on the street, but still can compete at the track. It's got a 369 on it right now, and a bunch of nitrous, but obviously, it has no bottom end. It definitely fits in my power goal, but not really all that fun to drive on the street.

What's some "out of the ordinary" options. I'm pretty familiar with the SXE line and I know there's some options there, just curious what else may fit. I saw on instagram where Power Driven Diesel was experimenting with a small compound setup geared toward towing using a 369. I believe it was a he351 over a 369, but don't quote me on that. Also, the hybrids that @zfaylor was messing with on his RCSB sounded enticing.

Something along those lines would peak my interest, but I'm open to thoughts, opinions, and discussion.

Other option is to throw a ppump on it and push the 369 a lot harder on top. I'm not necessarily against that option, just not sure if that's the route I want to take or not.

Macktruckdriver bought my old truck and can give some 3rd hand insight on the modded HX35s. They are much more fun than I ever imagined. That being said I don't know that they are truly capable of.

The 369sxe with a large turbine housing may get it done in compounds but if I were starting from scratch an HX35 over an HT60 on the cheap (650 will be a bit hot with that setup) or a 60mm s300 with the 68mm turbine over an S475/83/ 1.1 would be a fun setup as well and be a bit more balanced. We have a customer that will be trying the new 1.15 T6 housing on the 96mm turbine S475 (171702) under a stocker here soon. I would like to think that is a great budget setup but time will tell if my speculation on that is fact.

The 369 may be a bit lackluster as a primary for that kind of power and unfortunately any stock flavor turbo is going to be a bit lackluster for turbine flow. Doesn't mean it cant or hasn't been done before, though.

Granted I don't have the same goals as you, but that's the combo I've been giving a bit of thought too. My goal is 500hp that's usable, meaning I can load up the gooseneck and hammer down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I personally think the he351 with the wastegate bored out a bit would do pretty well.
I think a 357 and 366 would be a really fun combination though. I haven't seen anyone do it, but I'd love to some day with a 1600rpm stall tc. Especially if you put it into a 4th gen 1500 chassis.

Dreams... ha ha

For me personally, I already have a manifold setup for an external gate, so my plane was to block off the internal gate of the 351, and just run the external, dumping it into the 369.

For absolute quickest spool you'd want to make sure that manifold is truly blocked off and doesn't leak across the divide.

Also, seems like doing this on the cheap is in your favor? Can't get much cheaper than your 69 and an unmodded 351 that you can port the WG port yourself another 1/16" or more. Possibly even a 341 would work well if you really don't want to push the power. Thats like maybe $700 including flanges, plumbing and such. Solid low mile 351's are easily had for $400.

I also agree that you'd want a loose housing on the 69. 1.0 or 1.1 sounds better than .91. The example taylor mentioned of a 75/83/1.1 is essentially the same turbo as a 69/73/1.1. The 69 flows about as much as a cast 75 and you've already got the 69... As another bonus the 69 would outspool the 75.

Last edited:
For absolute quickest spool you'd want to make sure that manifold is truly blocked off and doesn't leak across the divide.

Also, seems like doing this on the cheap is in your favor? Can't get much cheaper than your 69 and an unmodded 351 that you can port the WG port yourself another 1/16" or more. Possibly even a 341 would work well if you really don't want to push the power. Thats like maybe $700 including flanges, plumbing and such. Solid low mile 351's are easily had for $400.

I also agree that you'd want a loose housing on the 69. 1.0 or 1.1 sounds better than .91. The example taylor mentioned of a 75/83/1.1 is essentially the same turbo as a 69/73/1.1. The 69 flows about as much as a cast 75 and you've already got the 69... As another bonus the 69 would outspool the 75.

Only on the compressor side. Personally I would not want the hindrance of running an s300 as a primary. Locks you into a small setup without room to grow using the same piping.

My manifold has the divider opened to allow the external gate to work on both halves. Which is probably hurting the performance of my current turbo, but I wouldn't think it'd hurt the 351 much since it's not a divided housing anyway.

I had a s366 in my 01 with a .91 t4 exhaust housing with mach 7s and an edge comp.
I ran 12.3 in the quarter. It spooled okay for what it is...

Last edited:
I thought some 351's were divided. Maybe no? IDK I don't deal with those alot.

I thought some 351's were divided. Maybe no? IDK I don't deal with those alot.
Don't think so, the cr manifolds are offset so a divider wouldn't be even flow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I definitely like the cheap idea, especially if I'm just experimenting. I can probably get my hands on a 351 for 250 bucks around here and I already have all of the piping laying around. It would just be a matter of buying the flanges and spending an afternoon to get everything fabbed up.

My biggest concern is drive pressure. It seems like there is potential for it to get out of hand pretty quickly when pushing it at the track. I could be wrong though.

Only on the compressor side. Personally I would not want the hindrance of running an s300 as a primary. Locks you into a small setup without room to grow using the same piping.

I understand where you're coming from, but I'm not all that concerned about it. If I was paying for the piping, maybe I would be more hesitant to do it, but that's not the case.

Picked up a HE351 today for 200 bucks. I think as long as the guys at Power Driven Diesel have good things to say about the setup, I'm going to give it a try. I'll hold off on buying the flanges until I talk to them though. Hopefully, they'll see this thread at some point and chime in. If not, I'll give them a call one day this week.

I was out of town this week so haven't had much time to mess with anything, but I did see on Instagram that PDD built a K27/369 setup that they're getting ready to do some dyno testing on. That will be some valuable information whenever it's available.

Macktruckdriver bought my old truck and can give some 3rd hand insight on the modded HX35s. They are much more fun than I ever imagined. That being said I don't know that they are truly capable of.

The 369sxe with a large turbine housing may get it done in compounds but if I were starting from scratch an HX35 over an HT60 on the cheap (650 will be a bit hot with that setup) or a 60mm s300 with the 68mm turbine over an S475/83/ 1.1 would be a fun setup as well and be a bit more balanced. We have a customer that will be trying the new 1.15 T6 housing on the 96mm turbine S475 (171702) under a stocker here soon. I would like to think that is a great budget setup but time will tell if my speculation on that is fact.

The 369 may be a bit lackluster as a primary for that kind of power and unfortunately any stock flavor turbo is going to be a bit lackluster for turbine flow. Doesn't mean it cant or hasn't been done before, though.

I put that 1.15ar t6 housing on my 171702. No track times with, but I can report it is much cleaner around town with my setup, bottom end didn't pickup anything worth mentioning from the butt dyno, but midrange picked up a little

the 57mm s200 sxe is rated at 650 hp

should be a quick single

a 69mm is too big for only 600 hp

Back