Feedback on new GT5518 anyone?

Extended Power

Anyone running one on a set of twins?

How is the spool up?

Drive to boost pressure ratio?

Max boost seen?

Install pictures?

The 50 has a 99/100mm turbine, the 47 is 92 ish. Bit the one guy I know running one liked it in a 1.0 housing and it spooled well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im pretty sure Verlon Southwick is running one. I purchased his old gt5533r, and at the time he was going to swap a gtx5518r in its place. Might be worth checking with him. His user name is vsouth.

I like my setup a lot, actually thinking about going bigger on the top turbo. might be able to find a better alternative for the secondary rather than the 66mm. Mine spools really well, still have to dial it in a little more when the roads come back here in Michigan, lol. she likes to dance around too much. cruising boost is about 10psi. Max boost without a controller setup yet is 95psi, the GT55 making about 35-38psi of that... but its hard to glance at the gauge. she comes on really hard and i have the JGS 50 gate holding it back right now. surprisingly im still on the factory metal intercooler and i know i could get a lot of EGTs out of an aftermarket one. max EGT i have seen so far is 1450.

i would say that its a little big for the street, only reason i say that is cause if your merging and stuck behind ****ty michigan drivers that like to merge at 48mph, it takes a little time to get up, but if you know how to drive it and use tow/haul to kick it down.... its not that bad. i do daily drive this truck also, im sure with EFI i could get a lot more out of it.

TMR05, would you be able to pull physical measurements of your GT55 for me?

I'm looking for the compressor cover width, and the length from the front of the compressor inlet, to the end of the exhaust flange outlet.

Thanks.

I think the comp cover was about 12 inch across and about 12 inches from the comp inlet to the turbine outlet. Though its been a while since we built the piping. Physically its not much bigger than an s400 with race cover.

just went a measured it... front of compressor inlet to outlet of turbine flange is 12". compressor cover width is 11 3/4" and has a 6" inlet.

it is pretty heavy too at about 70lbs, and that is with the billet aluminum backplate. so when building yours, brace the hell out of it and a piece of advice... run another brace from one of the 4 turbine housing flange bolts(T6), back to a strong part on the motor. it will help keep it sturdy and keep from moving around. its a lot heavier than a S400 frame turbo, mainly cause the turbine housing is a MONSTER.

i have the 1.0... if your using this on a Cummins you really dont need anything bigger. its just going to hurt spool up. breathing through 2 turbos, especially with that big of a turbine wheel, the 1.0 is plenty for whatever hp level you want to make.

Mines a Ford 6.0L
Running a Forced Inductions billet 63/68 over his 7 blade 80mm.
Hit 793 to the rear wheels on fuel, but you know...there's always more it in...:hehe:

We run the Precision equivalent on the race truck (ProMod88 Gen2) with the vband 1.15 AR housing, but as a single. It is well into meaningful boost by 2000rpm, and will peak out around 90psi, it never goes beyond 1:1 boost to drive.

It is 50lbs dead on and made 1250whp on fuel, but I am confident it will make more (Cp3 let go and sent metal through the whole fuel system right at that point in the tuning).

IMAG0572_zpsb06ee389.jpg

I thought the Pro Mod gen 2 were G-trim turbines....?

Whoops, nevermind....I see they have several "Pro Mod" sizes.....carry on.....

Last edited:
We run the Precision equivalent on the race truck (ProMod88 Gen2) with the vband 1.15 AR housing, but as a single. It is well into meaningful boost by 2000rpm, and will peak out around 90psi, it never goes beyond 1:1 boost to drive.

It is 50lbs dead on and made 1250whp on fuel, but I am confident it will make more (Cp3 let go and sent metal through the whole fuel system right at that point in the tuning).

IMAG0572_zpsb06ee389.jpg

That is a gorgeous turbo.:bow:

Negative. They are approximately GT55 sized at 112mm (GT55 is 111.5mm)

Their PT series runs the F and G trim as I recall.

Yeah and they have the odd habit of using turbine exducer measurements.....listed on the site as "103mm"....

Back