Filtering the fuel

Fahlin Racing

Have been thinking of the fuels between pump fuel and aftermarket performance fuels. How many filters are being run in the 'pre-fill' fuel filtering on applications concerning motorsports? What style of filter media are most common?

I use a 8 micron absolute Water fuel separator and a 2 micron absolute fuel filter.

Any particular brand you prefer? I am still dwelling on who I will build my fuel filtering system with. If we run the filtering in the fuel system with smaller micron capabilities, we must make sure we don't restrict the flow too much, smaller micron equals finer filtering with equals larger pressure drop (same goes for oil systems). That is one reason why I mentioned pre-fill filtering.

I prefer wix, Baldwin, or Donaldson.

Pre-filtering is a good idea, but not practical for my truck. However do do prefilter for the tractor with a 10 micron absolute water fuel separator.

I'd look into some of the CAT filters as there micron filtering has been actual numbers and not inflated like some of the other brands.
There is a great thread on CF regarding filtration with lots of PN and filter head options.

Sent from my fphone

Yeah, I called Cat technical the other day and have been looking through Donaldson books as well as others. I like Wix Oil filters but haven't dealt with their fuel filters. I will check out the CF for the thread when I can.

Pretty much where it stands is I have to look for a filter and pick the base and so on. I am actually thinking about a 3 filter setup. A water seperator with a drainable bowl for starters. I might actually build a system with aftermarket filter heads from my work and buy Cat filters.

Anyone ever spend the time to cut open any filters?

Back