Finally Figured Out Common Rail!!!

Bodacious

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about extreme diesel engine high performance. I mean the cutting edge, top of the line, doesn't get any better kind of performance.

I realized that once going through the expense of possibly running a common rail set-up, it would be nothing more than a mechanical injection engine at that point and definitely outweighing a nice billet sigma. Therefore, chock one up to us cave men.

Now, for the truck pulling this extreme high performance diesel racing machine, nothing will beat the common rails ability to deliver power without delivering the EGT's to go with it. We were blessed with CARB emissions that forced companies to move into the common rail world. I can order McDonalds without shutting down my engine if I chose to run common rail.

Don't stop the common rail mods on my account. lol Just give me a nice manual trans that will shift automatically and stand up to the brutal torque these engines deliver.

Hey James,

Just a statement. Trying to see if I'm correct in my statement.

Im keeping my dinosaur. these new diesels are like driving with the government in the back seat. All the electronic BS, the filters, the urea junk.
If someone wanted to torch the economy, this is how you do it.

The ability to precisely tune a common rail is what is truly amazing. Some day I think common rails will take over the motor sports sections as well.

What do all guys want on a high rpm, high hp diesel? Super quick injection and low duration. an old mechanical 13mm p pump is what, maybe 4000psi depending on how your pump guy sets up injectors. 30,000psi out of common rain system has to be vastly more efficient in my book.

I view it as the older gas days. Can you make huge power with a carburetor? Definitely, but now days guys are moving to fuel injection because of being able to tune it. I foresee the diesel world moving this way even more than it already has.

Just my two cents though

No arguments from me. I wanted to simply make my opening statement and see if anyone had come to the same conclusion.

My humble and most likely wrong thoughts on the issue is the fine edge on volume distribution and timing of BOI/EOI on the internals of the injector body and nozzle is the squeeze point.

Stock bodied injectors have been maxed out from what i gathered. The BBI gear seemed like it was very promising. But now you are hearing of new "can't talk about it" injectors that seem to have solved the volume through nozzle issue, and are fast enough to clean up when they are on low fuel requirements.

But with most things in life i am just close enough to the truth that i am barely wrong.

Please inform me then. A lot of guys that I pull with have their injectors set at 4000 or 4200psi pop pressure.

Opening pressure on the injector is not the same as injection pressure produced by the injection pump.

Please inform me then. A lot of guys that I pull with have their injectors set at 4000 or 4200psi pop pressure.

pop pressure yes, but the faster you jam that fuel through the nozzles the higher the pressure due to resistance.

Bosch published values;

VE injection pressure - 800BAR or 11,600psi
P7100 injection pressure - 1200BAR or 17,400psi
VP44 injection pressure - 1500BAR or 21,750psi
CR1N injection pressure - 1350BAR or 19,575psi
CR2N injection pressure - 1600BAR or 23,200psi

I have seen a 500%+ injector with no "body mods" create lower injected idle quantity than a stock injector, you can mechanically alter the injector to react in ways the electronic portion cannot compensate for.

Opening pressure on the injector is not the same as injection pressure produced by the injection pump.

Is this due to the deflection in the injection line or the loss created by the injector or neither?

Pressure is related to flow over how much restriction. The nozzle is the restriction.

Bosch published values;

VE injection pressure - 800BAR or 11,600psi
P7100 injection pressure - 1200BAR or 17,400psi
VP44 injection pressure - 1500BAR or 21,750psi
CR1N injection pressure - 1350BAR or 19,575psi
CR2N injection pressure - 1600BAR or 23,200psi

I have seen a 500%+ injector with no "body mods" create lower injected idle quantity than a stock injector, you can mechanically alter the injector to react in ways the electronic portion cannot compensate for.
Where are you on all this anyway? I thought we would have seen something going in the CR realm by now.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

theres a pile you can do with electronics that you cant do with these old mechanicals.. like set the injection timing and duration on the fly. Or cut injection to certain cylinders altogether. staged injection events to make the engine quieter. the older fords were simpler, and they used solenoids but still you had electronic controls to deal with.
Something to be said for keeping things simple and easy to work on.

Threres fuel injected dirtbikes now, and I hate working on them. I can get plenty power with a carb and once you jet it thats more or less it unless its a 2stroke.

Last edited:
Threres fuel injected dirtbikes now, and I hate working on them

Yes, Yes, and Yes. We just bought a 2013 Husky 310. When running right, it will flat smoke the boys '01 KX250. Unfortunately, we have only been able to enjoy one full day of power due to an electrical glitch that shuts the fuel pump off from time to time. The cycling of the pump is destroying the pumps.

Thanks Liberals. I think one of them should fix my bike for free if this $hit is so helpful to me.

Back