First passes on new engine...

paulb

Took the 05 to the track this weekend for the first time since putting the new engine in. I made a total of 12 passes (including a second place finish), with the quickest being a 11.67 @118.4 mph. All the passes were within .06. This was with the Smarty on level 1, timing on 3, rail pressure on 2, torque management on 2, rpm set to high, and shift defuel still on. This is quite an improvement over what the old engine would have run with the same settings.

Taking it to the track this weekend was kind of a spur of the moment thing. I was planning on running the 02, but the track manager talked me into running the 05. It was a national dragster challenge race, but also a Big Rig race. He thought the spectators would like to see an 11 second diesel. The seat belts have expired along with the tranny blanket, so I had to keep it slower then an 11.50. It also had the stock tires on it, so traction was a problem.

With the shift defuel on, it didn't make more the 20psi of boost until hitting second gear, so 60' times were slow. It normally runs 1.58 60' and it was running 1.90's with lots of tire spin.

It is making close to the same power on level 1 of the Smarty, as compared to level 7 with the old engine.

The main changes were, billet rods, different head porting, Spartan billet cam (stock cam before), balanced engine, and different F1 flux injectors. Ultimate transmission also redid the shift points on the transmission, which I believe also made a difference.

Needless to say, I am very pleased with the test passes.

Paul

WOW. That's hauling some serious tail. I'm thinking 10's are in the future.

Nice Paul, glad to see it back on the track. Maybe we'll see it at a few diesel events next year?

sounds like much bigger nozzles.... how was the boost.. compared to before esp after the porting/cam

nice times

Man, thats awesome with it being fueled back like that Paul!!

Looking forward to seeing what it'll do when unleashed!!

That is awesome! Good to see it running again.....But spartan cam.....time bomb I say. If you don't already oil analysis....its time to start.

sounds like much bigger nozzles.... how was the boost.. compared to before esp after the porting/cam

nice times

The boost was about 3psi less (hard to tell exactly), but EGT's were lower. At least 150 lower. The funny thing was, I was thinking that EGT's hadn't changed because on level 1 before the EGT's were about the same.

Paul

Congrats Paul, I know how good it feels to make some trouble free passes on a new set-up.

Here is a timeslip from the final round of qualifing on Saturday. I launched a little harder, but it just spun more. I'm in the right lane (F606).

TimeSlip0911.jpg

Sounds like it's working well for you Paul. Good to hear it's back up and running.

Back