First SS truck to the 8's

I won't mind seeing 1/8 mile racing at all. To tell the truth, I got pretty spooked last year with almost playing bumper cars with the nova at 140+mph going through the traps.

Should give death wobble at 157 mph a try while your opponent pulls in the middle of the track assuming who knows what. Sketchy for sure.

I'm curious to see what some of these SS trucks would be able to do flat out, full tilt... Like running in the "Texas Mile".

Not in their 1/4 mile trim of course. But geared down it would be interesting to say the least.

Just curious Anthony, how exactly would you change in the SS rules? I quite frankly think it's a great class. Much closer to a street legal truck than Prostreet. And are for the most part driven to the line and back to the pits. The speed and weight are getting problematic however.

When you speak of Pro mod are you referring to NHRA Pro mods or are you referring to the Prostreet class in NHRDA? Or is there a class in the 1/8 Outlaw series that I'm not familiar with? Sorry I confused with what you are calling Pro mods.

I agree, its always been my favorite class as well. I just like 4x4 trucks and most are still fairly close to being street legal. I know i drive mine on the street from time to time, and would more if it didnt have lexan windows that dont roll down.

Congrats to Phillip and all the TSD guys all your trucks were getting it . The Tulsa race was impressive with all the fast times. I hope the ODSS guys were watching and decide to put a SS class in. As of right now now the only place for us is Pro Street and even though the SS guys are getting faster there still is a big divide between the classes we really can't compete with the weight difference and that kind of leaves a lot of trucks in no mans land in ODSS. Micheal Dalton was talking about putting in an SS class at his race in July I hope that he can get it done an a bunch of you guys will show up to support it and maybe we can start a new class in ODSS.
As far as the rules changing in SS class what I would like to see is that these trucks would have to be a street driven truck with water and all no filled blocks. And I think both the fast classes Pro Street and SS should be 1/8 mile as fast as things are getting its just going to be a matter of time till someone rolls one up in a ball and at 160 mph its not going to be pretty.

Totally agree. Would love to see another org take up SS, i think youd see a lot more trucks be built or brought out of "retirement". i think we need to go to 1/8 mile as well. We're kidding ourselves if we think any cage in the world is going to hold up to 6000lbs tumping over at 150mph. Also, with our tire and weight and suspension rules, weve gotten to the point where we are just forcing it down the track with more and more hp. that second half the of track is getting hard on motors. At what point will we just get tired of pouring money into our motors to continue to race, because we cant go faster any other way?

I won't mind seeing 1/8 mile racing at all. To tell the truth, I got pretty spooked last year with almost playing bumper cars with the nova at 140+mph going through the traps.

TOTALLY agree. 1/8 mile is a racers race anyways. makes it less about who built what for a motor, and who can actually build, dial in, tune, and drive the truck.

I'm curious to see what some of these SS trucks would be able to do flat out, full tilt... Like running in the "Texas Mile".

Wouldnt make it to the finish line still under power. Not even close. And i can tell you 155mph in a 4x4 truck with air under it starts getting pretty sketchy, cant imagine staying in it for longer.

Was a great weekend in Tulsa for us. We were VERY lucky to have ran the times we did. Hope to see some more SS guys back out this year. Miss the days of 8-10 truck fields and having 3 or 4 rounds of shootouts. The showing up and letting it fly for one or two passes makes the numbers look awful good, but im not sure if id really call it "racing". Thanks again guys for all the kind words!

I haven't touched the suspension in 8 years and it shows. Need to spend some time on that for sure. My damn 600hp street car 60's better than my truck ever has.
I hope your tires aren't the same age as your suspension :)

Congrats to Phillip and all the TSD guys all your trucks were getting it . The Tulsa race was impressive with all the fast times. I hope the ODSS guys were watching and decide to put a SS class in. As of right now now the only place for us is Pro Street and even though the SS guys are getting faster there still is a big divide between the classes we really can't compete with the weight difference and that kind of leaves a lot of trucks in no mans land in ODSS. Micheal Dalton was talking about putting in an SS class at his race in July I hope that he can get it done an a bunch of you guys will show up to support it and maybe we can start a new class in ODSS.
As far as the rules changing in SS class what I would like to see is that these trucks would have to be a street driven truck with water and all no filled blocks. And I think both the fast classes Pro Street and SS should be 1/8 mile as fast as things are getting its just going to be a matter of time till someone rolls one up in a ball and at 160 mph its not going to be pretty.

But do you actually think these guys will travel for ODSS? I don't know a single guy that wants to weight up to run that class. Make stuff lighter and easier on parts. Not harder. I personally want a 4900 10.50 truck

I think the Pro Street minimum should be dropped to 3600lb, that way they can run whatever times they want, and it puts a good bit of distance between the two classes.

As an aside, Idaho Rob, when are you going to come back out and work on that front half? The 154 trap is just about there for 8s!

Why not just drop to the promod class? Why change rules for pro street even a lighter class exists?

Why not just drop to the promod class? Why change rules for pro street even a lighter class exists?

Can't drop pro mod because thats where all the super street and pro street trucks will be going in the next couple years. Unless they limit the hp you can make in ss and ps. Or make them an index class.

Can't drop pro mod because thats where all the super street and pro street trucks will be going in the next couple years. Unless they limit the hp you can make in ss and ps. Or make them an index class.

I think he's saying the current pro street trucks should loose weight so they 'drop' into the promod class which affords them chassis certs <7.990.

I LOVE the class but at this point i don't think there needs to be pro and super in nhrda. The only thing that separates a super street truck from a pro street truck is a back half. Nothing about them is street. The speed and weight is dangerous and brutal trying to keep things together. I think the rules need to be looked at to slow the trucks down. Myself and a few other very fast ss trucks and expressed this feeling but nothing has came about. So we roll with what we have.

When I say pro mod i mean a class G&J runs their car in and like Wade Moody ran his truck in. Not sure exactly what they call the class. Or a dragster.

Got Ya, the class is called Pro Stock but Pro Mod would be a better name for sure. I have probably argued more to poo-poo 1/8 mile racing then most anyone on this forum. I have totally changed my mind. I race 1/8 almost exclusively now and I like it. When I race 1/4 mile that last 1/8 mile seem to take forever. The point made about the weight and speeds the trucks are now making are good ones. While it's fun to see the fast trucks go 150+ in the 1/4 mile, it would not be fun to see one lose it at those speeds.

It's difficult to get Randy to change the rules, however the top classes are almost nonexistent anymore in NHRDA. So maybe he will be more flexible to change.

I think he's saying the current pro street trucks should loose weight so they 'drop' into the promod class which affords them chassis certs <7.990.

Not going to happen. Chassis will need front halved and the 4wd's can't get that light. Which takes those ps 2wd to a pro stock/pro mod since its a full tube chassis. At least not from what I've seen.

Not going to happen. Chassis will need front halved and the 4wd's can't get that light. Which takes those ps 2wd to a pro stock/pro mod since its a full tube chassis. At least not from what I've seen.

4wd's CAN get that light....:Cheer:

There's still a world of difference between 3600 and 2350lb.

That's what I am saying. The guys in PS need to keep evolving and loose the weight, do front halves and 9s front and rear, lighter tcase ect. A full tube chassis 4wd wouldn't be that hard to build.
Don't say they can't get light because Bobby Dodrill proves you can get a 4wd light. Just have to take a page out of the gasser book and keep moving forward.

4wd's CAN get that light....:Cheer:

There's still a world of difference between 3600 and 2350lb.

I feel like we are talking in circles. So say they can. They aren't pro street trucks anymore. Allowing pro street trucks to be 3600 lbs is the same as just going to pro mod/pro stock isn't it? Thats my point.

At what cost, time and money? Sh!t, there's almost no one to race now at these events.

I don't know what the answers are but making things more expensive then they already are doesn't seem like a fix to me. Hell, I just want to race. These things are big money already and the time involved to keep them running is really crazy. One of the biggest reasons I have pulled back from running the series.

I race gas stuff almost every weekend and have a blast, and it costs about 5% in time and money compared to running my diesel. Also have 100 cars in my class to race with.

Why not limit the hp by limiting trucks to a single s400 based turbo like some of the pulling classes. Kinda like the 2.6 race that happened a while back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The fast classes have lost most all of the private competitors because of time and cost. The only ones competing are shop sponsored, with very few exceptions. This is a downward spiral. There are very few money sponsors in this sport also and prize money is a joke compared to the costs.

Only crazy people would do this at this level unless it is for marketing a business, then after the dust settles, the ROI is found to not be worth it by most companies.

The fast classes have lost most all of the private competitors because of time and cost. The only ones competing are shop sponsored, with very few exceptions. This is a downward spiral. There are very few money sponsors in this sport also and prize money is a joke compared to the costs.

Only crazy people would do this at this level unless it is for marketing a business, then after the dust settles, the ROI is found to not be worth it by most companies.

Correct. ANY heads up racing without power limitations ends up this way.

Super street trucks are just 1500lb heavier Pro Street Trucks with suspension limitations.

Pro Street: I don't see lowering the 4500lb minimum weight being beneficial. It would make the class all go 2wd or tube chassis. May as well build a Pro Mod truck at that point.

I think it would be better to let the Super Street Trucks drop into the Pro Street category and start a 10.0 index class (roll bar minimum) This would give you an index class at the fastest time allowed with just a roll bar and you'd see a lot of true hot street trucks gunning for the 10.0 class without having to pony up to go to an 8.50 cert, NHRA license, and try to keep a drivetrain together at 1600+HP.

Everyone complains about index racing, but the same people ***** about not being able to afford a the heads up classes and how they are out of reach for anyone without a shop/team.

Now you would have all the Pro Street and Super Street trucks in one pile and it would be a lot better racing with potential to have a 16 truck field at an ODSS race. (Rudy's spring 2016 was 13)

All the Super Street trucks that weren't competitive in the first place would bounce to the 10.0 index and should be able to go rounds in comparison to running all out every pass and should be fun racing for the spectators.

Lavon

See the last two sentences in post 54. I too feel limiting the hp is necessary in Super street for sure. I don't know what the answer is but it's in that area. Limited single charger, limited single pump, limiting 2 pumps and no nitrous... ****s out of control expense wise and killed the class and I warned to promoters it was coming a couple years ago. To me super street was your entry to a "real race class". Its a class that just gets you into the single digits in et or real close to it. Not so much anymore. It's a class that calls for all out everything, full crew needed and on and on.

Last edited:
Back