first time at track

Schwinn68

diesel fanatic
So I had to run up to wisconsin yesterday to deliver a set of rims/tires. I took 39 up there and ran past Byron, and it being saturday, I thought why not run the test and tune.

Of course it started raining right at 10 when we were supposed to start racing so I waited it out and we got going about 2 hours later.

I've never ran this truck on the track before so a 4wd boosted launch was new to me. I had just sled pulled the Friday night so the truck was still set up with the spring clamps and torsion bars down. I also still had all the weight in the truck which put me at about 7700 or so lbs. The tires are a set of 285 firestone m/t's with 40 psi in them. I literally changed nothing to race as I hadn't planned on doing this when I left home.

First run was a 14.031 at 96.78mph. 1.7 60ft. not bad for the first time but the truck layed down in third and picked back up when it finally recovered and shifted to fourth. This is on my top #1 race tune

I couldn't log the runs because I left the laptop at home. kinda bummed I did because I had been feeling like the truck was doing the same thing on the pulling track but it's over so fast I couldn't tell. Now I know for sure something is going on and will be logging right away to find out what it is

second run I switched to #2 race tune and ran a 13.929 at 97.87 mph with a 1.8 60ft. Still had the big lag middle of track

Last run I switched to the #3 lowest race tune and ran a best of 13.418 at 99.57mph with a 1.7 60ft.

Very happy I stopped to race! Now I need to log the truck to see whats going on and get the truck running up to its potential. Byron Dragway is by far my favorite track. The people are very friendly and accommodating. I was in no way ready to race and they had no problem letting me go out there anyways. They don't get caught up in the details, they just want people to race and have a good time. I'll post up a pic of the timeslip later.

Not bad for the first time out....good 60ft times!

The track prep was awesome. I was leaving the line at 10lbs boost. The trucked hooked up and jumped off the line. I plan on going back and shedding about 1000lbs of weight to really see what it can do

Id be curious.....with diesels, it seems to be about .1 for every 200 lbs.

here's a pic of the time sheet.

imag0072ee.jpg

Last edited:
thanks! I forgot how much drag racing was! It's nice getting more than one chance to go down the truck. sled pulling you usually get just one shot. This time I was able to get better each time. I really learned alot about the truck in a short time.

figured out the fueling issue. Turns out my lift pump blew the underhood fuse and was no longer working. No idea how long it's been out but I'm guessing a while. Put a new fuse in yesterday and it started working again. I'm going to do some logs tonight just to make sure. I'm also planning on deleting the fuel filter on the engine and running some bigger fuel line from the lift pump directly to the cp3

Back