First time first gen

Adamv7010

A guy local has an 89 d250 with what he calls, transmission issues.

Being a pretty diehard ford guy, I don't know a ton about dodges auto transmissions.

The truck is a rclb 2wd that's in probably 7/10 overall condition IMO. I can get it for around 2k.

Does that sound reasonable?

I figure a rebuild is at least plausible.

I would likely leave this truck close to stock as far as performance goes. Maybe add an intercooler.

I think its a 47rh based on my quick online search. Is that right?

But on the other hand, what's available for the early 12v as far as performance goes? Who likee a stock anything. Lol

sent while driving recklessly

2k is a good deal if its in good shape. Being a rc d250 it won't take much to make it a quick little truck.

2k is a good deal if its in good shape. Being a rc d250 it won't take much to make it a quick little truck.

I was thinking the same thing.

What would you suggest for performance assuming a frugal budget? I assume some parts from later model, higher power 5.9s will interchange easily?

Its a 727 non OD trans.

Thanks for clearing that up. Is there a later model od trans that will interchange fairly easy?

Use the search button you'll come up with a bunch of stuff and builds! But just start with a Fuel pin and the free pump mods and you'll be amazed. But do a rebuild with a good convertor and valve body or do a 47rh swap!

Good find. Pretty rare truck. Came with the good pistons and nice cam. More duration exhaust. Prob has the 3.33whatever rear end. Do mods mentioned and build that tranny if you don't feel you need OD. Many will suggest goin lockup, but I would stay non lokup with that rear. It takes a good bit of power to overcome OD much less that TC, from my experience. 46rh would be my OD choice.

If it looks good without much rust, go for it.

Rebuild the transmission, tune the pump, get a good lift pump, and you have 100+ extra horse power worth of fuel. Then you just have to get the air lined out and there's about 100 different ways to do that.

Rebuild the transmission, tune the pump, get a good lift pump, and you have 100+ extra horse power worth of fuel. Then you just have to get the air lined out and there's about 100 different ways to do that.

Exactly. Just don't overdo the lift pump. VEs won't take a lot of pressure without leaking.

ga6emede.jpg
bemyzuzu.jpg
epe6adeq.jpg

A few quick pics. Its not beat to chit and still in decent shape. Runs good etc etc. Aside of the transmission I've not seen any real issues.

I would like overdrive...but being this truck would not be driven daily..I don't see the need of swapping. If I did do a swap it'd be to throw a 6 speed in but I don't see that happening.

Like I said, I've been a powerstroke guy thru and thru over the years...but at this price its hard to pass up.

At least I won't have to pull the cab to stud it. :rolleyes:

Looks like you scored a good deal. Here's some starter reading for you...

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm

The non i/c trucks have pretty big injectors from the factory, so as long as they're not worn out, I'd keep em. Back when my truck had a 727, I put 514rwhp through it, so they're pretty strong. Just had a Transgo, low stall converter, and red clutches. With a decent intake and exhaust, turned up pump, and some timing, I'd expect power to double. If you want more, an HX35 is a good cheap turbo upgrade.

The plain and simple of it is, if you do any adjusting, you'll most likely end up needing to RE-SEAL the injection pump, no ifs ands or buts.
Do that and put in a 3200 spring and you'll thank yourself in the end.

Oh yeah, get rid of that POS diaphragm style lift pump.

Mark.

Looks like you scored a good deal. Here's some starter reading for you...

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm

The non i/c trucks have pretty big injectors from the factory, so as long as they're not worn out, I'd keep em. Back when my truck had a 727, I put 514rwhp through it, so they're pretty strong. Just had a Transgo, low stall converter, and red clutches. With a decent intake and exhaust, turned up pump, and some timing, I'd expect power to double. If you want more, an HX35 is a good cheap turbo upgrade.

thanks for that link. I'll def read through it. As far as turbos go, I've got a few Borg chargers laying around from past PSD builds.

One I'd think would probably suit this truck would be a 366. Only thing, mine have smaller ex housings...91&.88.

The plain and simple of it is, if you do any adjusting, you'll most likely end up needing to RE-SEAL the injection pump, no ifs ands or buts.
Do that and put in a 3200 spring and you'll thank yourself in the end.

Oh yeah, get rid of that POS diaphragm style lift pump.

Mark.

I would probably use one of my a1000s as a lift, just regulate it down.

For the sake of pricing parts and/or a temp replacement ....is the trans nomenclature 'A727'?

There's a different trans used for the diesel applications vs other vehicles isn't there.

A 727 is the designation for the 3 speed auto currently in your truck, yes.

Mark.

Back