Flashing "OD OFF" light and bouncing speedo

dezl

The truck is 2000 F-250 with a 7.3

My problem started friday, I jump in my truck and fire it up. I head off down the road to get some lunch and I notice at a stop light that my "OD OFF" light is flashing. Then the light turn's green and I begin to roll forward, I give it a bit of the go pedal and it seems like its stuck in second then it felt like it down shifted and everything was fine. I continue down the road to get my lunch and the truck does exactly what its supposed to. I get back to work and park the truck until I get off. I head for home and the truck is fine, then I hit the same stop light and the OD light starts flashing again and the same problem continues. At that time I notice that between 2mph-30mph my speedo bouces between 3-7mph. Once I past 30 mph the speedo is solid as a rock.

So I go out of town this weekend and I jump in the truck this morning to take it to a friends shop and have the codes read. The truck runs perfectly fine, no lights no weird first gear take off's of anything. Although the speedo still bounces a bit. This morning before I left I did check the fluid level and it seemed a bit low so I topped it off. Either way, I get to my buddies shop and we pull the transmission codes and get a P0000 "no codes detected" (its a snap on code reader).

At this point im stumped, I assume that my VSS is either bad or has a crappy connection (hence the bouncing speedo) and maybe the reason it was shifting funny in first was because it was low on fluild?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sorry for the long winded post.

Had the same issue with my dads '99 F350 when the VSS went out

Back