Flat paint options

Cam73

Hey guys-
Considering a flat paint scheme for my truck in the near future. The paint job will be on somewhat of a budget, hopefully a few steps above a bomb can job but nothing real special. A professional will shoot it but I'll do as much of the paint prep as possible, with some guidance as I'm clueless when it comes to paint ect.

I'm looking for a proven combo to achieve a flat white finish. Anyone have experience with a bc/cc with flattening agent or flatten single stage paint? I know its frowned upon but maybe even a flat clear over an epoxy primer? It just looks so flat, haha.

Since cost is a driving factor and if buying materials for my friend to shoot the truck is too expensive, I may just prep and trailer it to Maaco(price break on material through quantity hopefully). I hear they can be hit or miss but good prep is key.

The truck has the typical early 2nd gen haze on the hood and roof but there is no peeling, primer or rust exposed. Is a good skuff considered adequate or will it need to be taken all the way down? Feathered at the rock chips and spot primed?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Ill half to look when I get home, but I got paint from napa, hot rod blck I believe.... and I wanted to get the truck in one color and it turned out pretty good

Kirker makes pretty good "hot rod" black. It is a cheaper line of products, but works pretty well. We have been using a new line from our PPG supplier but I cant remember the name. It is the best matte black I have ever used, but it pricey. For the white, I would just used a urethane single stage with a flattener if your not looking for anything nice. But just a heads up, if your paint is hazing, its more than likely dead. So it will need stripped and/or sanded off to the primer. If not, it will just cause the new paint to flake and peel.

Thanks.
I'm leaning towards a single stage paint with a flattening agent or even something like hot rod flatz (although I've heard mixed reviews).

Forgive the noob question but..
Not sure how true this is but I have read several places, the more a matte finished is worked (buff and/or wet sand) the more shine it will get.. can anyone clarify this? Is there a way to bring a matte look back?

And if that is true, what is the point of risking runs ect with a bc/cc if the clear can't be buffed/sanded?

I wouldn't use a single stage paint and add flattening agent to it. It will eventually chalk out and not look good at all. the best way, however the most expensive is to basecoat what you want to paint and then use a matte clear on top of the basecoat. Most all paint manufacturers offer a matte clear that can be added to their regular clear coat to adjust it to the level of gloss you would be looking for. By doing it this way, you won't compromise any of the UV properties or any of the corrision protection of the clearcoat or basecoat.

Tractor supply

The truck in my sig was painted with tractor enamel from tractor supply. Its more of a satin black, not as glossy as it looks in the picture. You can buy the paint pretty cheap. I have not gotten and rock chips yet and its been a while since painted.

Back