flexplate question

rpainter

What does a cracked flex plate sound like? and is there any way to check it? My truck seems to make a single pop with it shifts from 2nd to 3rd if I let out of the fuel and that time. I have checked and replaced the u-joints,new shocks,retorqued all bolts I could get to. But the noise is still there. the sound seems to be coming from under the truck. Any ideas???

Trans or engine mount?

The ones I have heard sounds like a bunch of marbles.

both mounts are tight. No marble sound just a single pop? The truck does have a laminated flexplate installed so I was thinking that maybe something failed on that and it is causing it to give a little ??? I am really at a loss here

If it's cracked bad it sounds like a rod hammering all the time. Checked rear end?

Diesel importer, I broke 2 stock flexplates, so I bought a laminated one. (from source automotive) It didn't make it a week, the stockers lasted a couple years. It looked like bad welds to me (as that's where it separated, didn't actually rip in two, but the center let go at all the welds), but they were really good about it and warrantied it without hesitation, but I didn't want to risk it so I sold the new one and put in a billet one instead. My truck is probably 650 rwhp, so not huge power.

As for a sound, the first one grenaded at WOT and I thought I threw a rod out the block. Second stocker sounded like a bent valve or leaky exhaust gasket (think helicopter) and the laminated one had a constant tick to it. So far so good with the billet....only bad thing is I don't know what my "fuse" is going to be now...

Hell I had a laminated flex plate on my 07 that was around 855 hp before I sold it, never had a problem with it. It was one from source automotive. Best of luck to you

Just sent my laminates fp to the moon.. When the tranny was built, i was only at 550 hp...

Back