Flywheel/ clutch torgue specs...

nike

"Can't have nothing!"
Nv4500...

I know this is a cumminsforum question but I wanted to ask the pros.. :lolly:

Im doing my first clutch/flywheel install... Bought the "upgraded" unit from Napa (work truck, 98 24v)... My ****ty Chiltons Manual doesnt have the torque specs for the flywheel bolts or the clutch.....

So, anyone know off the top of their head? :thankyou2:

Last edited:
Go 105 ft lbs on the flywheel and 30 ft lbs on the pressure plate. Torque all of them in a star pattern and start low and bring them up to the value stated.

Flywheel is 100 in a star pattern, clutch is 27 in a star pattern

i think my south bend instructions said 90-95 and 18-20 or something right around there.

I'd clean the bolts and the bolt holes in the crank very well with brake cleaner followed with compressed air to remove all cleaner residue, then put a drop of red loctite on all the bolts and torque them in a star pattern to 105ft.lb. The pressure plate bolts get tightened in a star pattern 1/4 turn at a time until they reach 35ft.lb. no loctite required.

Thanks guys... Looks like I need to replace the rear seal before putting the flywheel/clutch back together today. Ill keep yall updated as a screw stuff up!:cheer:

More questions...

Ive done good so far... I think... :kick:

Ive done as directed here... Flywheel bolt holes cleaned w/ brake cleaner, loctite added, torqued to 105/lbs in a star pattern. Clutch basket and clutch installed, new grade 8 hardware torqued to 30/lbs in a star pattern.... Everything looks good so far.

New questions: What is the torque spec for the bellhousing? Torque spec for the tranny/bellhousing?

I cleaned the surface where the tranny bolts to the bellhousing and there was a rtv like residue.. Do i need to reapply rtv to this surface?

Thanks for all the help guys! I almost have this whipped.. :lolly:

Lreiff,

Is there anything that goes on needs applied on that surface?

thanks

So...... what do I torque the tranny/ bellhousing to?

Couldn't tell ya yet...... by Texas standards, its damn cold here and I don't need This truck That much.. lol. Once I finish up with cattle on Wednesday, I plan to finish the install then... keep in mind this is a completely stock truck, therefore a modified truck may experience different results...

Back