Foam in a fuel cell?

cumminstroked

What is the purpose for foam being in a fuel cell? Has anybody ever had any issues from the foam?
Thanks for any input

James

My cell has foam. It's to prevent sloshing. I've never had a problem.

Thats what I figured it was for but wasn't for sure. I was worried that the foam would deteriorate or send particles down the line. I will be running a couple fuel filters so im not worried it'll get into the pumps but i don't want to be changing fuel filters all the time. Thanks for the input

It can break down and fill your filters and lines full of crap

My dad has had a foam filled cell in his drag truck for 15 years and hasn't had any problems.

Getting some mixed reviews here lol. I do have some in line fuel filters that have stainless elements that are cleanable. I could just run it with the foam and check my filters after some time and see what happens. Or i could pull the foam out and not worry about it. I dont know how much of an issue sloshing would be on a 10 gallon cell if I keep about 6 or 7 gallons in it.

Last edited:
It may not happen to you but the possibility is there. The foam helps but isn't absolutely necessary if you keep plenty of fuel in it. Better to be safe than sorry. $.02

Last edited:
Being some of the fuel that is ran will eat threw a foam cup, I would pull it.

I would check with the manufacturer of the cell. Mention the type of fuel you plan to run. I have helped crew for a car that runs a fuel cell on a vintage Porsche 914-6 race car. It has the foam filler in the tank, and has never caused any issues. And that's with a carb. engine.

Not trying to stir the pot, but I think the cell filler and a styrofoam cup are going to be different materials.

Or just pull a chunk out and throw it in a cup of diesel and see what happens.

Foam is a loose term just like plastic. Get a foam rated for diesel if it exists if you don't pull it out.

I pulled the foam out just to be safe. I might throw a chunk in a bucket of fuel just to see what it does. Rather be safe then sorry. Thanks for all the input guys

Its hard for me to believe that the foam in a fuel cell will do this. Its not like you took some foam from a random box and stuffed it in there b/c u thought it would help.

My dad has had a foam filled cell in his drag truck for 15 years and hasn't had any problems.

I was told that diesel will eat the foam and gasoline will not. Not sure if it's true or not, but why risk it.

I checked mine this spring after about 5 years of use. No problem of decay or any sign of material in my pre-pump filter. Truck is a daily driver so fresh fuel is in it during the driving season.

Back