Ford 550 Rear End with 488 ODL

Teamfreeman04

Livin' the Dream
I can get my hands on a Ford 550 Rear end with 488 gears pretty cheap.. anyone know if this would be a good ODL rear-end for the new 3.0 smooth bore class, can not find much on the internet about it?

Thanks

I would stick with a SQHD axle. It seems that has been working for everyone. The Dana S110 axle in the F-550 has a gvw of around 14,000 lbs, where the SQHD has around 38,000 lbs. The Dana axles are 1 1/2" diameter and the aftermarket makes 2" for the SQHD, if memory is correct. There is very little, if any aftermarket support for axles, lockers etc for the Dana S110 and would require custom parts. The SQHD has the aftermarket support. I would call ProFab, if you need more info.

Not mention the 110 has a $1600 R&P when it lets go!

The sqhd's are rated at 38000 (or 40k) as a pair, not as a single......IIRC.

Is it not a Dana S135 in a F-550?

Depends on the year older ones were s135 newer ones are s130's. For pulling stick with a sqhd as there are more parts available and more than likely cheaper.

A friend of mine is going to try one, we found one for $550 with 4.88 gears already and Real wheel makes wheels for them just going to strip it down and see how it works. Might be an option, looks like it's going to come in under $2500 total so we will see.

Cheapest I've been able to do a 20-145 so far is around $4800 with aluminum hubs,center chunk and spun aluminum rear cover (no real wheels in that cost)

A friend of mine is going to try one, we found one for $550 with 4.88 gears already and Real wheel makes wheels for them just going to strip it down and see how it works. Might be an option, looks like it's going to come in under $2500 total so we will see.

Cheapest I've been able to do a 20-145 so far is around $4800 with aluminum hubs,center chunk and spun aluminum rear cover (no real wheels in that cost)

You aren't looking in the right places then. A bone stock sq or 20-145 will live with anything you can throw at it. You don't need all that aluminum stuff. Build a set of 10 lug aluminum wheels and run it for under $1000

Why is it everyone wants to re invent the wheel? Doesn't seem " i can get it cheap" is the answer if the need for an open rear truly exists

You aren't looking in the right places then. A bone stock sq or 20-145 will live with anything you can throw at it. You don't need all that aluminum stuff. Build a set of 10 lug aluminum wheels and run it for under $1000

Never said a 20-145 couldn't be built that cheap I just wanted it as light as possible and I already had a nice set of real wheels that I wanted to re-use. It may or may not be worth spending all the extra to get it light but that's how I chose to do it.

$550 for a s135 WOW that's free I've been looking for one to tandem up my project and that wouldn't hardly get me a bare housing much less a complete rear. Will be interesting to see how it holds up.

There was a truck in Ohio a few years ago, that ran a Dana150
with a big unlimited single and it lived just fine. I believe they was put in some of the f550's also.

There was a truck in Ohio a few years ago, that ran a Dana150
with a big unlimited single and it lived just fine. I believe they was put in some of the f550's also.

The s135 and the 150 are nearly identical they use same center section just thicker housing on the 150.

Back