ford 6.0 powermax turbo defect!

Todd W

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I have an 04 6.0 excursion with normal mods. intake, exhaust, sct with custom tuning, head studs, egr delete. last july I put on a box stock garrett powermax turbo. Probably stage 1 based on gt3788. Turbo was bought threw turbo resource. Truck ran fine until a few weeks ago some strange sounds were heard out of tailpipe a clicking like the turbine fins hitting something as it was spinning. The next day the sound was gone. I took out the turbo and there are 3 bolts that hold on the heat shield between the turbine and the bearing housing and one of the bolt heads was gone, so found source of problem and why the noise stopped. anyway small damage to turbine wheel so sent it to Tom at turbo resource and he waranteed it all.

Now the bolt was a fluke and not the defect I started this thread about. Just the reason the turbo was sent in. While the turbo was at his shop Tom noticed My turbo had an issue from the factory that he had seen on another powermax turbo he had worked on. He then proceeded to open up 3 more brand new powermaxes he had on the shelf and all 3 had the same defect. Any ways he fixed mine up right and the results are shocking to me. With the same tuning I ran 2.5 tenths faster in worse conditions. best pass in the excusion was a 14.1. last weekend ran a 13.86, on a much hotter day. also towing has greatly improved. was able to tow up a hill that had always had to downshift. With the same load the downshift was not needed. Boost is also up 4-5 psi while towing and racing. Much snappier then before as well. I have tuning for the powermax turbo and was the same before and after.

I am not going to say what the defect is as Tom found it. He has said anyone who wants to call him and talk to him about it is free to do so, I would recommend anyone with one of these do so.

http://www.turboresource.com/

Back