Ford APPS pedal emulator

Ford12v

Given my interest in controlling the 5r110 with the stock Ford 6.0 ECM, I noticed some of the issues related to the APPS pedal.

I decided to build an emulator so an external input signal, such as a 12v TPS, common-rail Dodge APPS, etc. could be converted to the signals that the Ford ECM needs to see. The solutions I have seen to date were pretty lackluster, like having two pedals hooked together, hooking the 12v throttle cable to the APPS pedal, etc.

In my video, I am using the Dodge 12v TPS to control the 6.0’s throttle. The idea being, in the absence of the 6.0, the Ford ECM would get the 12v’s throttle position from the native Dodge sensor. Or, in a common-rail application, would convert the Dodge APPS to the Ford signals, or possibly visa-versa.

VIDEO: Ford 6.0 APPS Pedal emulator

Don’t know if something like this would be of use or of interest, but I thought I would share it.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Louis

im assuming the 01 ford PCM only uses the measured side of the pedel only. if this isnt the case i still dont want to run redundant throttle sensors.

also dodge "TECH connect" has no concret information on apps sensors weather its a dual or single sweep sensor. (thanks for the other thread post)

i refuse to run the PCS controller..

im assuming the 01 ford PCM only uses the measured side of the pedel only. if this isnt the case i still dont want to run redundant throttle sensors.

also dodge "TECH connect" has no concret information on apps sensors weather its a dual or single sweep sensor. (thanks for the other thread post)

i refuse to run the PCS controller..

What transmission are you trying to control, and what are you wanting to control it with (Factory PCM or Standalone controller)?

As far as the Dodge connector, I assume you are talking about the common-rail with a Dodge APPS? I wish I knew someone in the Houston area with a '05 or newer common-rail for me poke around on.. I feel confident I can control a common-rail Cummins with the factory Ford APPS pedal.

Thanks,

Louis

Well I want to stick with the 4r100 with the factory PCM and a 05 Cummins ECM since I found recently that the 06 isn’t tune able if it stands alone. I’m sure the Ford PCM won’t need anything more than throttle percentage. But it’s finding what sensors are used to calculate load (IE boost pressure if that’s all?)

The information I was able to dig up about the dodge APPS sensor is the one mounted on engine with square 6 pin Deutsch connector is a potentiometer/on-off idle sensor compared to the sensor mounted under the battery box is a redundant potentiometer. The redundant potentiometer APPS sensor generally runs half the signal voltage on senor #2. 2006 was an integrated pedal sensor with duel potentiometer like 05 but mounted as a pedal assembly.
Then for information only, the 6.7 dodge cm2250 ECM uses redundant hall-effect sensors.

I’m still working out the smog regulations per county here in California. Some counties like Alameda County, where I live, and its every two years. However, Kern County doesn’t smog diesel..? Registration location will have to change on the project.

Nathan

Last edited:
That's the cool thing about what I built - it can take any 0-5v (or more, if needed) from an APPS pedal or TPS, and convert it to multiple, scaled signal outputs. So, like in your instance, convert your Ford pedal output to the two '05 Cummins signals. I could probably emulate the hall-effect sensors for the 6.7, but would need a truck to take measurements on. It will probably be a bit more complicated. rjustman has a 6.7 pedal and ecm for me to *possibly* play with, so we will see what happens.

Mind you I don't know the 4r like I do the 5r, but I am pretty sure you will need more sensor inputs than just TPS to derive a quality shift schedule. You will probably need MAF, Exhaust pressure, MAP, RPM, etc, off the top of my head. The factory PCM tries to guesstimate engine torque output based on all these inputs and adjust the shift accordingly - that's why modern electric transmissions shift so much smoother than the older hydraulics.

Luckily I am in Texas (no diesel emissions) :rockwoot:

Louis

Well I want to stick with the 4r100 with the factory PCM and a 05 Cummins ECM since I found recently that the 06 isn’t tune able if it stands alone. I’m sure the Ford PCM won’t need anything more than throttle percentage. But it’s finding what sensors are used to calculate load (IE boost pressure if that’s all?)

The information I was able to dig up about the dodge APPS sensor is the one mounted on engine with square 6 pin Deutsch connector is a potentiometer/on-off idle sensor compared to the sensor mounted under the battery box is a redundant potentiometer. The redundant potentiometer APPS sensor generally runs half the signal voltage on senor #2. 2006 was an integrated pedal sensor with duel potentiometer like 05 but mounted as a pedal assembly.
Then for information only, the 6.7 dodge cm2250 ECM uses redundant hall-effect sensors.

I’m still working out the smog regulations per county here in California. Some counties like Alameda County, where I live, and its every two years. However, Kern County doesn’t smog diesel..? Registration location will have to change on the project.

Nathan

06-07 Cummins ECM is the best to use since it IS tunable. 06-up (5.6 and 6.7) APPS pedal assemblies are the same (redundant rising and falling sensors)

You'll need a way to tune the stock PCM to control the 4R shift points with the Cummins. Baumanator or PCS is the best/easiest way to go for the 4R. It's well proven to work.

Tobin

06-07 Cummins ECM is the best to use since it IS tunable. 06-up (5.6 and 6.7) APPS pedal assemblies are the same (redundant rising and falling sensors)

You'll need a way to tune the stock PCM to control the 4R shift points with the Cummins. Baumanator or PCS is the best/easiest way to go for the 4R. It's well proven to work.

Tobin

I totally agree, Tobin for the EFI Life tuneablilty but I've yet to see a fummins swap using a 06 ECM. Just recently I’ve heard of a local individual using the Painless harness repined to run a 06 ECM and EFI Live was unable to communicate with the ECM.

I totally agree, Tobin for the EFI Life tuneablilty but I've yet to see a fummins swap using a 06 ECM. Just recently I’ve heard of a local individual using the Painless harness repined to run a 06 ECM and EFI Live was unable to communicate with the ECM.

It can easily be done with the CM849. I have a CM2100 motor/harness running stand alone. Plenty of guys out there doing it. I would recommend the 06-07 CM849 5.9 harness and ECM with EFI live running stand alone.

Tobin

I would think EFILIVE would have no problem talking to the ECM in a stand-alone application provided teh harness is set up properly. Most shops thta do mail order ECM's use a bench harness for flashing, and that would work just like a stand-alone setup.

I would think EFILIVE would have no problem talking to the ECM in a stand-alone application provided teh harness is set up properly. Most shops thta do mail order ECM's use a bench harness for flashing, and that would work just like a stand-alone setup.

Yep, works great in stand alone.

Tobin

Tobin,

You have the 6.7 running on the stand correct? But the ECM you used was already calibrated?

However, you still able to communicate with EFI Live with the engine on the stand?

this is good info.

IF this is accurate, it wouldnt surprise me that the repin painless harnes they used isent correct.

Ford 12v I'll get the parts together the week of the 6th and get something going with you so you can tinker..

Back