Ford Cummins ?

oldsmokey

Hey guys, Im thinking about doing the ford cummins swap. But I dont have a Ford to swap it into. Im thinking a 99 or newer with a CR. Some of you guys who have done this what would you do different if anything? I have an 02 found with 145k for 11k. How do the Ford trannies hold up if built correctly behind a 650- 700 hp cummins? What does it cost to build a ford trans? I think i would perfer a 48re but who knows? Any info would be great

Thanks Joel

my 4r100 has been at 600+ hp for over 5 yrs and only has a valvebody and converter.

If you want a built Ford trans, talk to BTS. They seem to be one of the better builders out there for the Ford autos.

If I were you, I would start out with an 1999-2004 5.4L truck with a lot of miles and a clean body, that would be the tricky part, but it would cut your cost in half of buying a truck if not more. Also to cut down on the cost of parts, you would probably be better off going with a dodge tranny, so you don't have to buy the adapter plates and such. Just some thoughts that I had.

-French

the ford transmissions are pretty stout... a properly built one, by someone like john wood or bts, will hold up to pretty much anything you can throw at them

I called and spoke with Beans yeasterday and they said the camo truck runs a 4r100. Anyone know how much a 4r cost to build? Are they as pricy as a 48re?

depending on what you want to do with the truck, i would consider atleast an 02 to 04 because those trucks have a true dana 60 front axles, the 99-early 02 have the dana 50 front which has a few weak piont to deal with like axle shafts and pinion. enless you go with a dually then they have a dana 60 front. or drop back to the old body style f-350, those trucks have dana 60 fronts, and with these trucks they still have regular wheel bearing that cost less than $20, vs the superduty with the $300 hub assembly just something to think about.

hey man im doing the same! i started with a 06 f250 and i am either going to go with a 12v and nv5600 or if i can find a cheap 6.7 im going to get it and put a 5.9 ecm, injector, wiring and fleece perf. pistons in it. just depending on if i can find a 6.7 cheap enought. but i am goin to do a 6speed swap with a nv5600 just because i would not have to buy any adaptors or controler and with a dual disk and input shaft you can handle the power you want but mine will be a 550 to 750hp dd just depending on how radicall i feel like goin when i get the the point

truck003.jpg

depending on what you want to do with the truck, i would consider atleast an 02 to 04 because those trucks have a true dana 60 front axles, the 99-early 02 have the dana 50 front which has a few weak piont to deal with like axle shafts and pinion. enless you go with a dually then they have a dana 60 front. or drop back to the old body style f-350, those trucks have dana 60 fronts, and with these trucks they still have regular wheel bearing that cost less than $20, vs the superduty with the $300 hub assembly just something to think about.

The only difference between the 50 and 60 is the pumpkin.

The Ford trannies seem to hold the power of the Fords, but usually the cummins motors have a lot more torque, just different designs and the transmissions are usually designed accordingly. It all just depends how much power you want to throw at it. With enough money you could probably make any transmission live behind it. I think all the autos are ballpark the same price to build.

The 5R110 is a very stout tranny. The 4r100 is going to need to be built no matter what you throw at it, but once built are very stout as well.

A few years ago when I researched for my swap, it was about the same money to have a 4R100 built or a 48RE built. The 4R100 required expensive adapters and the 48RE required expensive controllers. 6 one way, half dozen the other. I went the 48RE route as I had a new one to start with for $50.

You can pick up V10 powered ford's for cheap. I'm assuming you are looking at 3/4 tons?

The ony thing I would do different, is add some firewall noise blankets/pads to cut down on the engine noise. It's not bad, but it could be better. Depending on your use, I would potentially look at dual electric fans vs. the factory one. I had to buy the clutch, fan, and all the shrouds new and it wasn't cheap.

The Ford trannies seem to hold the power of the Fords, but usually the cummins motors have a lot more torque, just different designs and the transmissions are usually designed accordingly. It all just depends how much power you want to throw at it. With enough money you could probably make any transmission live behind it. I think all the autos are ballpark the same price to build.

The 5R110 is a very stout tranny. The 4r100 is going to need to be built no matter what you throw at it, but once built are very stout as well.

Ford engines break the 4R100's just fine as well. I have a twisted input shaft, broken OD planet and sheared converter hub that say so. This is on a street truck running around in 2wd. I've been running the same build as Mike bean for close to a year now and the only problem since then has been the converter hub.

I would stay far, far away from the 5R110. It is complex to tune. The trans of choice might end up being the new trans they plan to put behind the 6.7 powerstroke. Course the engine in front of it might be the engine of choice as well, greatly simplifying the whole ordeal as you could just buy the truck you wanted with the trans and engine you wanted already in it.

I'm in the process of swapping a 06 CR into a 05 Ford F-350 auto truck. The floor pan is differant from auto to manuel. Now I have to modify the floor for the G-56 trans.

I have a 01 ford f250 with a cummins in it i haven't finished it and i am selling it just wondering if you are interested in it. Here is a video ofhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGoZ_hSrNW4
Here are the specs
2001 FORD-CUMMINS ONE OF A KIND
Great Shape
140000 Miles
New Reman 12 valve cummins motor
6 speed transmission (Great Shape)
South Bend DD Clutch New
Super Phaft Shaft 62 Turbo New
Electric fans New
AC & Heat
Cruise Control
K&N Intake New
Arc flow intake CFM New
5 Inch mbrp straight pipe New
New Front Hubs assembly
New skyjacker shocks
Leather Heated seats new interior just needs to be put in Plus factory bench seat.
Undercarriage and wheel wells all painted Gloss Black
Meyer Snow plow mount
Bf Goodrich tires
B and W Hide a Hitch Gooseneck
Bigger injectors New I'll try to find out what size
Boost and Pyro Gauges
Heavy Duty Springs
Cab Lights
Alpine Radio
THE OLD 7.3 POWERSTROKE WILL GO WITH THE TRUCK AND ORIGINAL CLUTCH. THE 7.3 STILLS RUNS.
This truck is perfect for anyone trying to make a pulling truck or just a show truck I am getting rid of it because I don't have the time and money to put in it anymore.
I got the Motor/Kit from Ford-Cummins.com The Motor Has A Warranty ON IT
I am asking 26000 but negotiable

i would put a 12 valve in they seem more reliable than commmon rails and cheaper to get all the extra fuel. Driveablility is still great even at 600-700 hp. I can still see 20+ on the highway and drive trough town without anyone knowing its hopped up until you hit the go petal.

Back