Ford dude needs help on an 03 CR

dzchey21

Single turbo 6.4
I got a dude who just got an 03 2500 dodge CR with 140,000 on it.

Its got oil comming from the breather, and when you take the oil fill cap off when its running you can feel a puff of air and oil vapor out of the fill cap, same with the dip stick tube, and the oil on the dip stick shows way over full when its running, which tells me high crank case pressure/ blowby. It also at idle and low throttle position sounds to me like its got a slight missfire, but at mid throttle or higher you cant really tell, just a slight haze of grey smoke at start up when its cold, just the slightest amount of smoke, off idle. Sure sounds to me like a scored cylinder to me... what you dudes think?

I would lean towards head gasket myself

never mind, I misread you post, I need to go to sleep, bump

If the oil smells like Diesel, it's an injector.
If it looks like Milk, head-gasket.
If it tastes like chocolate, you're checking it wrong,
LOL

Grey smoke on startup is somewhat normal. Many 600 motors did that new.

If it's still making good power and just smokes a little out the breather, oil looks fine and there's no other issues I wouldn't muck with it too much. Is it puking oil out the breather and fogging the bottom of the truck? If not, who cares. Could just be the victim of a hard as hell 140k miles. If it makes good power and doesn't eat or spew oil or mix its fluids, run it till it does. $.02

Doomsday Scenario:
What mods does it have? Crank Case pressure can only come from so many places, none of them cheap to fix. If this came on all of a sudden, my guess is he done melted something in the bottom end.:1tooth: If it's always been that way, it could just have had the crap kicked out of it by the previous owner.

If you really want to tear in to it, I'd start with a leak down test if possible. Check the sticks when you pull em out for cracked tips. If you pressurize a cylinder and the dipstick hits you in the throat, you likely found your problem hole. :hehe:

I dont think its an injector, the oil doesnt smell like diesel, but i took an oil sample anyway to conferm, to me the truck was modded by the previous owner but i dont know what, its straight piped and has an intake that is covered in engine oil as well. But like stated, almost anything that it can be is not going to be cheap for the guy. I told him i would price a head gasket to pull the head, He is one of them guys thats not reall going to belive it till he sees it type of guy, but i was thinking of pulling injectors and pressuring the cylinders up to check. I also thought that maybe it did have a bad injector at one point and scored a hole but not its got a new injector in it but who knows, i just think the previous owner found out what was wrong and decided to get rid of the truck ASAP

Pull the intake hose and check the inducer and hose for soot. Damn good indicator of reversion. Lots of it indicates it saw much higher drive pressure than boost on many occasions. Is it stock turbo? Any indicators of the WG getting molested?

Try the leak down test before yanking the head. If one hole is worse, scope it if you can.

How bad is it? Honestly if a little puff out the breather and a nusance rattle is all that's presenting and power is good, I wouldn't mess with it yet. Have your buddy save his piggies till it does.

Its drivable and liveable, hes not complaining about power or anything, its a stock turbo, but i think its been off from what i can tell. thanks for your help i think thats what he plans on doing anyway. Thanks again.

Crankcase pressure sounds like a melted piston to me. Could be a hg but if it was a hg it most likely be getting coolant in the oil.

Crankcase pressure sounds like a melted piston to me. Could be a hg but if it was a hg it most likely be getting coolant in the oil.

yeah for sure, the oil on the dip stick is pretty darn black too, and he told me he changed the oil when he bought it a month ago, doesnt smell like fuel, doesnt look milky...

Black oil means nothing. Thin oil that is overfull and smells like fuel is what you are looking for. The oil is soot black one minute after changing and starting. The pressure in the crankcase is going to make a little extra blow by, but as has been said, if it's not blowing out the tube and soaking the underside of the truck YET then run it till it does or pull the injectors and scope the cylinders to see if you can find scoring or leakdown on one really bad.

Black oil means nothing. Thin oil that is overfull and smells like fuel is what you are looking for. The oil is soot black one minute after changing and starting. The pressure in the crankcase is going to make a little extra blow by, but as has been said, if it's not blowing out the tube and soaking the underside of the truck YET then run it till it does or pull the injectors and scope the cylinders to see if you can find scoring or leakdown on one really bad.

my truck is pretty clean even after 3k or so, and this oil is fresh fresh and its supa black. Im going to scope it in a couple weeks i am flat busy right now, thanks for all the help everyone

do i just need to get an injector seal kit if i pull an injector to scope the hole? Or do i need to get a high pressure fuel line as well.?

Back