Ford SD painted mirrors?

sredish

Where am I?
I was thinking of trying to find some painted mirrors in black. Does the sport package have painted mirrors, can't remember? What about painted covers or insert deals? Lastly, will the paint hold up with the tires sticking out on the sides?

I think only the King Ranch (??) SDs have painted covers that cover up part of the tow mirror..

I have seen SDs get there entire mirrors smoothed and painted.....I think the King Ranch covers look better though.

If you're tires kick up a lot of stuff that hits the mirrors...the paint may get chipped up some. I think I've only had mud hit my mirrors...never rocks or anything like that though...

Sredish let me know if you find them. I have been looking to do the same thing. I called a dealership the other day and the parts guy told me that I would have to buy the whole mirror for like $400/each and I said how bout you chew on my whole set of nutts for awhile.

sports dont have em, harleys and KRs do.
i like em, but i think they will get messed up.... i know ive whacked mine pretty good before and i think if they had been painted they would need to BE painted

Fx4ord said:
I called a dealership the other day and the parts guy told me that I would have to buy the whole mirror for like $400/each and I said how bout you chew on my whole set of nutts for awhile.

I had to replace a mirror that I destroyed. The whole mirror assembly from the dealer is fairly reasonable at $250.00 for a mirror with lights, motors, heat.... This is because the mirror assembly is available in the after market

But I forgot to mention, the dealer wants $90 for the unpainted plastic cover that snaps on the back of the mirror!!LOL And you still have to paint it! I guess that part is not available in the after market........

Exactly you take $250 for the mirror plust $100 for the smooth cover and then let him paint it $400-$450 when it's all said and done for each mirror. Sheeesh that alot for some mirrors.

SadderBudweiser said:
I had to replace a mirror that I destroyed. The whole mirror assembly from the dealer is fairly reasonable at $250.00 for a mirror with lights, motors, heat.... This is because the mirror assembly is available in the after market

But I forgot to mention, the dealer wants $90 for the unpainted plastic cover that snaps on the back of the mirror!!LOL And you still have to paint it! I guess that part is not available in the after market........

you could just smooth the cover thats on it and have it painted...
but i dont see why you couldnt purchase the smooth cover w/out getting the entire mirror - is there some difference between those with the cover and those without?

i just smothed and painted mine. I did them about 6 months ago and they are holding up great so far. it was alot of work to do them right though. i could see it being expensive to get them done at a body shop.

_CH_ said:
you could just smooth the cover thats on it and have it painted...
but i dont see why you couldnt purchase the smooth cover w/out getting the entire mirror - is there some difference between those with the cover and those without?

The mirror and cover are sold separately.

However, per the body shop that fixed the other damage, it is impossible to get the old cover off without destroying it. Also, I had raunched up the old cover pretty badly, so I bought the new one for $90 and had it painted along with the fender.

By the time I was done, it was an $800 boo-boo.:doh:

Back